Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

Quote Originally Posted by Chromebitch View Post
    Yes, it`s working fine with BT5R1.
    Hi just to make sure, You said "YES" Working fine with BT5 r1!! However does this mean it works fine without complications and out of box. , Or "YES" meaning it works fine after some modifications??

Also is this virtual or on hard drive setup

Cheer's

Another thing, has anybody tested with the newest ALFA AWUS036NH-R, I believe this device does not support monitor mode but maybe its changed, Has there been a patch or driver update anybody???

Just burned his ISO

a minor observation on my behalf using the Alfa AWUS036NH in BT5, VirtualBox under Windows 7 or LinuxMint...

have the same issues as others here while airodump-ng mon0.... occasionally I am able to see expected mon0 output after rebooting a few times. no one particular settng seems to work all the time...

however, while testing and not getting the results i expected after several retries, i got curious and initiated airbase-ng --essid whatever -a aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa mon0, then I tried airodump-ng mon0 and got results... I alt-c each terminal instance to quit.. went back and tried airodump-ng mon0 and still nothing... don't know if anyone can use this to troubleshoot issue...

so i l closed out BT5 and went back to LinuxMint and opened terminal and initiated airmon-ng start wlan1, then airodump-ng mon0 and got expected results every time. ... closed all terminal instances and started BT5 and tried it again to no avail.

soooo, can't run successfully on BT5 more than 20% of the time, but it does work fine in LinuxMint 100% of time.

hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

okay. so i decided to mess around a little more with this issues and trying whatever i can to make the Alfa card work in BT5 R1. i decided to write a very simple script which i saved to /usr/local/bin , named powerset. chmod a+x powerset to make it executable.

i attempted to initiate several things like iw reg set, and txpower and macchanger from the jump start... after several tries i came up with this simple testing solution:

For linuxmint:

#!/bin/bash

iw reg set NZ
    ifconfig eth1 down
    ifconfig wlan1 down
    iwconfig eth1 txpower 30
    iwconfig wlan1 txpower 30
    ifconfig eth1 up
    ifconfig wlan1 up
    airmon-ng start wlan1
    ifconfig mon0 down
    ifconfig mon0 txpower 30
    ifconfig mon0 up
    airodump-ng mon0
    i didn't bother with macchanger in linuxmint obviously

in BackTrack 5 R1, using VirtualBox i did this;

#!/bin/bash

iw reg set NZ
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30
    macchanger -m xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx wlan0
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    ifconfig mon0 down
    ifconfig mon0 txpower 30
    macchanger -m xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx mon0
    ifconfig mon0 up
    airodump-ng mon0
    i receive no errors in either linuxmint or bactrack5. for now it seems i am able to reboot, shutdown and then restart backtrack 5 r1 and successfully do an airodump-ng mon0. i did not unplug the alfa card at all each time i used terminal to run my 'powerset" script. if anyone has a more appropriate solution for this alfa card issue, or a better script please let me/us know. i would truly appreciate your input. thank you.
    Last edited by gilbertvargas; 09-01-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: additional information

Just burned his ISO

okay. so i decided to mess around a little more with this issues and trying whatever i can to make the Alfa card work in BT5 R1. i decided to write a very simple script which i saved to /usr/local/bin , named powerset. chmod a+x powerset to make it executable.

i attempted to initiate several things like iw reg set, and txpower and macchanger from the jump start... after several tries i came up with this simple testing solution:

For linuxmint:

#!/bin/bash

iw reg set NZ
    ifconfig eth1 down
    ifconfig wlan1 down
    iwconfig eth1 txpower 30
    iwconfig wlan1 txpower 30
    ifconfig eth1 up
    ifconfig wlan1 up
    airmon-ng start wlan1
    ifconfig mon0 down
    ifconfig mon0 txpower 30
    ifconfig mon0 up
    airodump-ng mon0
    i didn't bother with macchanger in linuxmint obviously

in BackTrack 5 R1, using VirtualBox i did this;

#!/bin/bash

iw reg set NZ
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    macchanger -m xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx wlan0
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    ifconfig mon0 down
    ifconfig mon0 txpower 30
    macchanger -m xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx mon0
    ifconfig mon0 up
    airodump-ng mon0
    i receive no errors in either linuxmint or bactrack5. for now it seems i am able to reboot, shutdown and then restart backtrack 5 r1 and successfully do an airodump-ng mon0. i did not unplug the alfa card at all each time i used terminal to run my 'powerset" script. if anyone has a more appropriate solution for this alfa card issue, or a better script please let me/us know. i would truly appreciate your input. thank you.

Just burned his ISO

Great info thank you very much and now I'm headed to Ebay to pick up my -nh, Great work!

Just burned his ISO

i think i'll leave BT5/BT5 R1 for now... it just wont work with my ALFA AWUS036H, sorry guys, for those how have said 'YES it's working fine !!'
    dont bother to say it here unless you want to share with us a few explanations how you really did it...

Just burned his ISO

the chipset of the awus036nh is RT3070, this will work on BT ?

Just burned his ISO

Default Respuesta: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

Hi,

Just wanted to tell everyone here that i had read all the post and decided to try BT 5 R1 , im using it as llive cd , and then just plugged the AWUS036NH And worked perfect without doing anything else, then i used the following commands to araise the tx power to 30dB :

airmon-ng stop wlan1
    ifconfig wlan1 down
    iw reg set BO
    airmon-ng start wlan1

I did this since the adapter doesnt come with all the power when you plug it, it usually comes with only 7-8dB or 20dB .

I hope this information help to anyone like me looking to buy this card to choose it, because i can see it works better than the AWUS036H,

Cheers from Mexico

Just burned his ISO

As a side note from my previous post I have found that every so often, about 10% of the time, the same issue occurs where no results are displayed after airodump-ng mon0, so I just simply brought wlan0 and mon0 down and then back up a few times and Voila! everything goes back to normal. However, occasionally after trying these methods I just need to reboot once, and maybe, just maybe have to reset the Alfa again. Needless to say that the Alfa card works very well when it goes up but it does seem to have its hiccups with BackTrack 5 but I am getting all the adequate use I desire out of it.

Anyway I made some changes to the little script to bring the power up, and for the sake of simplicity I added a script called reset in order to bring down wlan0 + mon0 and then back up. It's easy stuff really but it works.

The following scripts is just an example of MY test and research systems in order to get the Alfa to function when it seemingly fails. Please notice that this script is different than the original one I tested and described above. Also I run this script from a shell by typing . BTW you may open multiple shell tabs by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+T so you can switch back and forth from each terminal instance.

This is my "powerup" script which I run from terminal shell:

#!/bin/bash

iw reg set NZ
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    macchanger -m 00:11:22:33:44:55 wlan0
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    ifconfig mon0 down
    macchanger -m 00:11:22:33:44:56 mon0
    ifconfig mon0 up
    ---------------

The script below is almost pointless to write but it beats having to manually type the same four commands over and over again just to get the Alfa card going in BT5...

"I called this my "reset" script which I run from a terminal shell.

#!/bin/bash

ifconfig wlan0 down
    ifconfig mon0 down
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    ifconfig mon0 up
    Run this script from a terminal shell just like the one above. You may have to do this once or three times to get the Alfa running but it only takes a few seconds to reset. Now if for some reason your terminal shell freezes, close the terminal shell, pull the USB connection of the Alfa card out and start over by waiting a few seconds and then replug in and run the "powerup" script, then try airodump-ng mon0, and if nothing happens then just run "reset" and the Alfa card should be fine. On a rare occasion I do reboot.

Hey it's not like everyone can go to the store and afford to buy one card after another to get it going so this solution and other testing solutions are a good way to 1. save money and time , 2. learn more about your devices and BackTrack, 3. feel comfortable with and use your skills to help others.

Lots of owners of this Alfa card are having real issues with BackTrack 5, so if anyone has a better solution(s) than the one I have explained for this real and apparently well known problem, then your "better solution" would be welcome. Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Do you guys get any replies when you do the aireplay -ng -9 test for packet injection?

I get the no answer no APS found which is what i got on the previous Backtrack, but on this one most of it works straight away.
    I am using the Gnome version. On another thread someone using a different card had trouble with Gnome but KDE was fine if that makes a difference here...

Just burned his ISO

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to post my experiences/finding if people want to reproduce what I did.

That 's what I've got:
    -Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1
    -VMware Player 3.1.4 build-385536
    -BT5R1 VMware version
    -Alfa AWUS036NH (2000mW)

First start of BT5R1 (card unplugged)
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    At the end of the file add:
    Code:
    blacklist rt2870sta
    blacklist rt2800usb
    Then log off BT5R1 (top right corner), once you are logged off tape reboot.

When restarted (root, toor, startx...) I plugged the Alfa AWUS036NH and I didthe following:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    modprobe rt2800usb
    iw reg set BO
    iwconfig
    iwconfig
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    After I tested that the card was scanning
    Code:
    airodump-ng mon0
    And finally that injection worked:
    Code:
    aireplay-ng -9 -e XXXX -a XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  mon0
    And believe it or not, but everything works fine.

Dam

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast