Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

Just tried out VMWare Fusion 2011 and it is having the same problem. Just wanted to let everyone know incase they were hoping it would be fixed in it.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by calig View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here and i joined specifically because of this thread. ... I have the us036nh on an
    older Thinkpad with BT5-GNOME installed about 10 days ago. I finally got everything
    working last night and nnmap'd a net of interest all night long with xml results on the
    drive when i got up. The AWUS036NH is definitely superior to anything out there in
    that price range. The reception sensitivity is nearly double that of the AWUS036.
    I have an engineer friend who claims that's not possible but I don't care because I
    know it is. Alfa definitely did something innovative with this little gem.

I did install compat-wireless-2-6.38-2-2.tar.bz2 from wireless.kernel.org since the BT5
    kernel is 2.6.38. Not sure if the 2010-04-20 package would have worked but don't really
    care right now. No aircrack-ng patches were needed. In the driver folder, I ran
    ./scripts/driver-select rt2x00. All the drivers can be seen in lsmod:

rt2800usb which is apparently the top driver in the device driver chain
    rt2800 lib using rt2800usb
    rt2x00usb using rt2800usb
    rt2x00libusing rt2800usb, rt2800lib, rt2x00usb
    mac80211 using everything above
    cfg80211 using rt2x00lib and mac80211

These are all the drivers needed. Nothing else is needed. You don't need to blacklist anything
    or use modprobe to delete any. I don't know where that information came from regarding
    rt2870sta and everything but it simply is not true.

The make should be clean. Then make install and make unload. You don't need to modprobe
    the usb driver. Just reboot with the Alfa now plugged it. The drivers will all load automatically.

Now, here's the catch. At this point, Aircrack-ng runs perfectly. Injection worked fine
    with aireplay-ng and airodump-ng picks up networks I never dreamt existed. But I could
    not get an i.p., either using WICD or, from the terminal, iwconfig & dhclient. In fact,
    ifconfig does not show the adaptor. You have to bring it up manually. But even then
    wicd will not connect UNLESS you restart it with /etc/init.d/wicd restart. Then I get
    internet.

You tell me why and we'll both know...
    I confirm that worked on mbp with VirtualBox and now i take RT2870STA but on airmon-ng start wlan0 i cannot take mon0 and on Chipset write AR9001/9002/9271..

Why??

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Re: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

Well I was a bit premature in my earlier post and I apologize for this. But now I have been running
    airodump-ng on the AWUS036NH for about an hour and when I open a new shell and issue
    aireplay-ng -9 mon0, injection is perfect.

So here's what I've found out.

1. You don't need to use ifconfig if the Alfa wireless interface is up. (iwconfig)
    2. You do need to make compat-wireless as, evidently, the newer .ko file is
    an improvement over the March, 2011 edition which comes with Backtrack 5.
    3. I always boot with the Alfa inserted and I did blacklist all the drivers (rt2870sta and
    rt2800usb) prior to booting.
    4. modprobe rt2800usb
    5. It's always necessary to set the power ... iwconfig wlan1 (my Atheros is wlan0) txpower 20M
    6. airmon-ng check kill wlan1 ... seems to be necessary. Mostly it's dhclients from the alfa
    interface but when I don't do it, I don't get good results.
    7. airmon-ng stop wlan1
    8. airmon-ng start wlan1. The first time this is issued, I do not get a mon0 interface.
    But if I repeat the command, it invariably appears. You do not want to use wlanx for
    aircrack-ng even if it shows monitor mode. You need to recurse at least to the previous
    step and, perhaps, even to the point of unplugging Alfa and reloading the rt2800usb driver.

This has been a hellish experience. Three weeks of my life and I'm anything but a noobie.
    But now its well worth it. Im picking up almost twice as many AP's as I did previously with
    the AWUS036H. And the power rating in airodump-ng suggests that the AWUSO36NH is
    about 50% more powerful than the USO36H. This is awesome to me.

If anyone needs help on using this puppy with Backtrack, you can post here or send me
    a private message and I will try to help you. I don't recommend this for noobies though
    as you really need to have a solid grounding in linux to even attempt this.
    Last edited by sickness; 08-03-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Robbb - You can do
    Code:
    airodump-ng -c 8 mon0
    to lock the channel. Obviously replace the 8 there with whatever channel it is you're trying to lock it on. Also, if you're having trouble with dhclient/dhclient3, you can try doing
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/wicd stop
    Sometimes when I want to authenticate with an AP I have to do this, with a combination of unplugging the thing and plugging it back in. Im not sure what it is that causes this, or a definite solution to the problem.

As far as collecting a handshake goes, it can be very difficult to do so, especially if you're far away, or there are no clients currently authenticated with the AP. The best way to do it is first to get you're antenna aimed at the thing as best you can. You can look at the power level in airodump to determine this. The power level in dbm is negative there, so note that a lower number reflects a higher power level. Once you're there, wait until you see that there is a client associated with the ap. You can filter airodump to STA (station only) by pressing 'a' while you have it running. It's also useful to use the -a switch when starting up airodump-ng, as this will filter out clients that aren't associated.

Once you have an associated client, then use
    Code:
    aireplay-ng -0 -1 -a $APMAC -c $STAMAC mon0
    in this case, you would either have previously created the variables $APMAC and $STAMAC, but you can just replace $APMAC and $STAMAC with the mac address of the AP, and the mac of the client accordingly. You will see if you are getting acknowledge (ACK) packets from the AP and/or the client. Here's the important part: you MUST be able to receive packets from BOTH the client and the access point if you want to gather a handshake. If you aren't seeing acks from both, then you most likely won't be able to gather the shake. You can try repositioning the antenna to see if there's a 'sweet spot' where you can communicate with both of them, which can happen often depending on how powerful your antenna is.

By far the easiest way to see what's wrong is by using wireshark. If your cap file is beanbagcap-01.cap you would use:
    Code:
    wireshark -R eapol beanbagcap-01.cap
    This will show you all of the EAPOL packets in the capture, and you'll quickly be able to see whether its the AP or the client that you're not getting packets from. Wireshark is an extremely useful tool, and its very easy to learn to use. It's definitely essential in troubleshooting when you're trying to grab a shake.

Another thing that can help you out is by upping the power to the adapter. You can go as high as 30dbm on that mother without any tweaks, and by creating you're own country code you can get it up to 31dbm. Here's how:
    Code:
    iw reg set BO
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30
    note that its an uppercase o in the iw command, not a 0 (BO represents bolivia's country code for regulation on the txpower). I've noticed a big difference in the success of this attack when you raise the power like this from 20dbm to 30dbm, but maybe it's just in my imagination, as I've gotten handshakes under both settings.

Just burned his ISO

- installed compat-wireless-2.6.38.2-2.tar.bz2
    - make; make install; make upload
    - blacklisted both rt2800usb and rt2870sta
    - plugged the adapter in
    - rebooted
    - modprobed rt2800usb
    - iwconfig wlan0 txpower 20M
    - airmon-ng check kill wlan0
    - airmon-ng stop wlan0
    - airmon-ng start wlan0 (got mon0)
    - aireplay -9 mon0 (nothing)
    - airodump mon0 (nothing)

So it didn't work for me.

Just burned his ISO

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the adaptor shows an Atheros chipset?? It should show
    Ralink only. You probably should blacklist rt2870sta along with rt2800usb, and then modprobe the latter
    before airmon-ng. Your English is a little weak so I'm not sure what your problem is.

Just burned his ISO

hi,

can someone post a manual for using this adapter with backtrack 5,which contains the detailed steps to get it run for aircracking- i m absolutely unexperienced in this area??

it would be fine if someone could help me by sending me a pm or post it here?

Just burned his ISO

The only "reliable" way I've gotten it to work so far is by plugging it in, test, if it isn't working unplug, plug it in, test if it isn't working unplug, etc...

Just burned his ISO

well look... i've been using this set-up for two weeks now and it's awesome. You need to pre-install
    1. compat-wireless 2.6.38 (same version as bt5 kernel)
    2. aircrack-ng v. 1.1. (need to make the source code..dont' use apt-get or dpkg.. read aircrack-ng forums for this)
    Once this is done, you need only blacklist rt2870sta and rt2800usb then modprobe rt2800usb with the alfa
    installed from a fresh boot. It is good to check kill with airmon first but monitor mode should be a snap then.
    You may have to repeat airmon-ng start command although lately i haven't had to do this.

Just burned his ISO

Is this on a virtual installation?

Quote Originally Posted by calig View Post
    well look... i've been using this set-up for two weeks now and it's awesome. You need to pre-install
    1. compat-wireless 2.6.38 (same version as bt5 kernel)
    2. aircrack-ng v. 1.1. (need to make the source code..dont' use apt-get or dpkg.. read aircrack-ng forums for this)
    Once this is done, you need only blacklist rt2870sta and rt2800usb then modprobe rt2800usb with the alfa
    installed from a fresh boot. It is good to check kill with airmon first but monitor mode should be a snap then.
    You may have to repeat airmon-ng start command although lately i haven't had to do this.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast