Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

Just burned his ISO

Default AW: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

Hello everybody,
    i have the same Alfa (AWUS036NH) and the same problem. If i want to use it in virtualbox or in vmware it say´s to me "No Networks found"(the blue LED flashes blue if it search).
    If i use it on a hdd install it works fine.
    I hope someone find out why!?

best regards

blackspider

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

Quote Originally Posted by zimmaro View Post
    hello! inverser
    i have bt5-32kde in hhd install! and awuso36nh work great!(but 36h is the very "alfetta!" bye
    Thanks for your reply. Took me a while to get back (I've been very busy) but I have finally had a spare moment to try non-virtual version of BT5. It seems that my suspicion just might be correct.

The AWUS036NH does not work out-of-the-box with virtual installation of BackTrack 5. I tried in both VirtualBox (VB) and VMWare (VMW) and problem persists. You can browse the web, but you cannot use aircrack-ng. (FYI, I have been using BT4 installed into VB with no problems and am familiar with using virtualization).

Anyway, to test my suspicion, I installed BT5 in USB drive and the AWUS036NH works perfectly. I can enable mon0 with no problem. I can inject. I can do everything.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by inverser View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Took me a while to get back (I've been very busy) but I have finally had a spare moment to try non-virtual version of BT5. It seems that my suspicion just might be correct.

The AWUS036NH does not work out-of-the-box with virtual installation of BackTrack 5. I tried in both VirtualBox (VB) and VMWare (VMW) and problem persists. You can browse the web, but you cannot use aircrack-ng. (FYI, I have been using BT4 installed into VB with no problems and am familiar with using virtualization).

Anyway, to test my suspicion, I installed BT5 in USB drive and the AWUS036NH works perfectly. I can enable mon0 with no problem. I can inject. I can do everything.

I concur, seeing mixed results though. From reboot to reboot I sometimes see networks but most of the time not at all. Im using virtualbox and have installed the virtualbox extensions. Anyone think it could be the way virtualbox handles the sharing of USB with the host os being win7?

Just burned his ISO

Default AW: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

Hello,
    i have tested it again and i must say on win xp host it works great.
    only on my win7 host there show "No Networks".
    it seems that the problem is win 7!?

best regards
    blackspider

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by inverser View Post

I, too, can confirm similar findings. I'm running VMWare Fusion (version Version 3.1.3 (416484)) on a Macbook Pro running OS X 10.6.7 using the AWUS036NH. The BT5 version I have running is 32-bit gnome and is fully up to date, but I have also tested the 64-bit gnome version with similar results. For me, the card is always recognized when inserted (i.e. wlan0 presents), it's just packet injection that doesn't work all the time. So I have to unplug it from the USB port, wait about 6-8 seconds, plug it back in, and re-test the injection (I test it using the aireplay-ng -9 mon0 command.) Once it works it stays working until it's physically disconnected or I reboot BT.

Hope this info is helpful.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Net2010 View Post
    ty for the info and i will make few test with the last compat wirless to see if working
    Having the same trouble with the AWUS036NEH. Tried Virtualbox, Vmware, and install.

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Hey i may have talked to you in IRC, i have both the N and G version of this card and i have the same issue, the N version doesnt work properly in bt5 however the G version does.

Sorry i got off work that day and forgot to test.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ashblade View Post
    I, too, can confirm similar findings. I'm running VMWare Fusion (version Version 3.1.3 (416484)) on a Macbook Pro running OS X 10.6.7 using the AWUS036NH. The BT5 version I have running is 32-bit gnome and is fully up to date, but I have also tested the 64-bit gnome version with similar results. For me, the card is always recognized when inserted (i.e. wlan0 presents), it's just packet injection that doesn't work all the time. So I have to unplug it from the USB port, wait about 6-8 seconds, plug it back in, and re-test the injection (I test it using the aireplay-ng -9 mon0 command.) Once it works it stays working until it's physically disconnected or I reboot BT.

Hope this info is helpful.
    I am seeing the same results. Thank you

Just burned his ISO

it works for me on win 7 and xp and vista. I tested all three (os's). Now when your using bt5 gnome try this.

apt-get install plist
    then enter the term ...
    once your at the shell type
    rfkill unblock all
    then try rescanning for networks.
    Also make the usb is connected to the vm when your searching for the wireless device.

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb Re: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

I just want to pass on that I am running BackTrack 5 in a VirtualBox VM with the Alfa AWUS036H and I was having this same issue (also in Blackbuntu) and I upgraded the installed packages and it started working for me (also in Blackbuntu). I know this may not fix the issue for everyone, but it worked for me. Note that I am using the AWUS036H however.

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    I hope this helps someone!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast