Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

I know it has been a few months, but I was curious on if there was any luck on getting the AWUS036NH card to work in vmware or virtualbox. I have had no success in getting this to work. I do have it working in a hard install but would rather have it in a virtual environment. Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Hi, I still have the same problem and nothing I try seem to work. Still searching for solutions, I guess non is knowledgeable enough to solve it, not even the companies, Ralinktech, vmware, vbox or BT, no one.

If you ever find solution pls do share.

:-(

Default Riferimento: BT5 Alfa AWUS036NH

hello, does the alfa AWUS036NH work on a bt5r2 live distro without modify kernel/add patches and so on? i'm looking for a good adapter that fully support every attack-fake auth-allthegoodstuff (i will use it on a live usb, not interested in vmware)

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Dam000000007 View Post
    Hi everybody,

I just wanted to post my experiences/finding if people want to reproduce what I did.

That 's what I've got:
    -Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1
    -VMware Player 3.1.4 build-385536
    -BT5R1 VMware version
    -Alfa AWUS036NH (2000mW)

First start of BT5R1 (card unplugged)
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    At the end of the file add:
    Code:
    blacklist rt2870sta
    blacklist rt2800usb
    Then log off BT5R1 (top right corner), once you are logged off tape reboot.

When restarted (root, toor, startx...) I plugged the Alfa AWUS036NH and I didthe following:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    modprobe rt2800usb
    iw reg set BO
    iwconfig
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30
    iwconfig
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    After I tested that the card was scanning
    Code:
    airodump-ng mon0
    And finally that injection worked:
    Code:
    aireplay-ng -9 -e XXXX -a XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  mon0
    And believe it or not, but everything works fine.

Dam
    Just to add my experience, i've recently buy this piece of hardware. I'm using the BT5 (released on march) and VMware 4.1.2 on Osx Lion.
    After a lot of test i was able to make it work with the procedure of Dam000000007, but i've just add:

blacklist rt2870sta

in the blacklist.conf and it worked. Seems to have problems recognizing some ssid with spaces in the name but it connect to the
    access point. Anyway i'm unable to see the other clients with Wireshark, even if in promiscuous mode... any idea why?

Just burned their ISO

I had to come back on my step after a few days as the AWUS036NH is unrealiable with the bt5 final.
    The wifi card is always recognized by bt5 but is blind and doesn't see anything. The working/not working is completely random
    and i can't figure out why sometimes work, other not. Reboot, disconnect/reconnect, restart process, nothing affect the
    blindness that often affect the card. Plus, when it work, the aircrack-ng work perfectly BUT there is not way to connect
    to WPA network. Work with WPA2 if you try 2 or 3 times, but noway for WPA.
    I've tryed also the last compat driver and i've spent hours testing all the suggestions i found on the forum: result is to
    revert on a AWUS036H and let's hope it work.
    Btw i also got to test, a dlink dwl122 which should not work but... work and it's even more realiable that the AWUS036NH...

Just burned his ISO

Just wanted to add in that the NH seems to work awesome for me, out of the box, with BT5r3 (I think, we'll get to that). I'd like to note that this was a HDD install of BT5, some people seem to have trouble with it when running under a virtual machine, can't say anything about that one. Here's the important thing I figured out though, DO NOT use a USB 3.0 port!

So after reading this thread, and a few dozen others, I ordered the 36NH. Got it in the mail, ripped it open, and plugged it in hoping for the best. Nothing, unplugged and plugged it back in, restarted it, unplugged it, restarted, plugged it in, etc. Nothing seemed to work, so I followed this post by Dam000000007 (excluding the blacklisting of rt2800usb), and it sort of worked. I could see it sometimes, and not others. Sometimes it would show up under iwconfig, but not ifconfig or vise versa. Sometimes it would see AP's, then it wouldn't. Or sometimes it would start seeing them then just decide to drop everything. It was acting all sorts of funky. I was reading other threads, looking at other drivers to compile, restarting my laptop... then on one of those restarts I got a screen full of strange errors that looked like "xhci_hcd 0000:02:00.0: ERROR no room on ep ring"

Googleing that brought me to this post on the Ubuntu forums. Fourth post down a guy notes that he got that error when he had a USB wifi card plugged into a USB3 port. Thankfully my laptop has both usb2 and 3, so I unplugged it from one, plugged it into the other, restarted, and it worked perfect.

I'm picking up about twice as many AP's as I was before, transmission power works great now, I love this card. It seems once it's in the right usb port, it works great, and I'm 90% sure all the other steps I took before that point were unnecessary and that it would have worked out of the box. However, there was a good 3-4 hours of fiddling with it before hand, so I can't exactly say it did. I am using the rt2800usb drivers now, injection works for everything but -5/-7, both of those say failed. I'm not sure what -7 does, -5 says it may fail in testing and work in the field though.

Anyway, hopefully this helps anyone who might be having trouble with this card or wants to get it.

Just burned their ISO

any help plz thx[/QUOTE]

I have this aerial and to be honest its pretty poor for use with backtrack,
    I have mine at full 35 db and its still light years away from the strength of the awus036nhr.(Which isnt even unlocked to full power)
    The awus036nh is probably on par with the awus036h but it doesnt seem to be much good for cracking networks so its a pretty poor choice.
    The best aerial you can buy is the awus036nhr.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Net2010 View Post
    hey all i just tested today my Alfa AWUS036NH and is not working with bt5
    here my test

PHP Code:
    airmon-ng start wlan0

Interface Chipset Driver
        wlan0 RaLink RT2870
    /3070 rt2800usb - [phy0]
        (
    monitor mode enabled on mon0
    and when i test the injection i got
    PHP Code:
        Quote# airdump-ng -9 mon0

17:07:20 Trying broadcast probe requests...

17:07:21 No Answer...

17:07:22 Found 0 AP 
    any help plz thx
    Make sure you update apt-get update && apt-get upgrade with Alfa plugged in usb port
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    ifconfig wlan0
    make sure mac address is same (displayed and bottom of alfa)
    to increase power you must change country (if living in US)
    iw reg set BO ....(country is Bolivia)
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30
    run airmon-ng

A good book to read "BackTrack 5 Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide[NepsterJay"

Just burned their ISO

I'm fighting with this awus036nh for 2 days now ...
    actually, it's called GE-RT3070, the newer awus036nh.

when I set up BT5r3 the first time, it worked without a problem.
    I could unplug it, and plug it back in, worked.
    suddenly 2 days ago it stopped working, it's blue LED was on all the time after plugging it in.

I tried 1000 different things I found with google. Stupid stuff, because it's for all BT releases so I don't know what solution is right or wrong.
    the silly-rfkill-patch didn't work, it stopped with an error while patching.
    I found another solution on a french website, I had to download some git folder, more than 1 GB ... and recompile the kernel.
    after I rebooted the new kernel, it worked again, but all settings were gone.
    so I went back to the BT5r3 kernel and deleted everything I compiled.

now I found a solution with a script.
    mostly removing the rt2800usb driver, setting it up again, using some rfkill block all/unblock all and each time I plug the awus in I have to run this script.
    is there any other way to get the awus running like before? by just pluggin it in?

on a side note: I also downloaded the linux drivers from the alfa website but I have no idea how to install these, or even 'make' them :/

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wing23 View Post
    I also downloaded the linux drivers from the alfa website but I have no idea how to install these, or even 'make' them :/
    In the folder should be a INSTALL or README .txt, you should see there the instructions.

To compile, you need to configure : which files and the order they will be compile using "configure" ======> ./configure This will create a file named "makefile" then do the next:
    Execute "make" to compile...Then execute the installation: make install...

If makefile present, do the same thing as above: make and then make install..

To compile you need to have installed linux headers and build-essential.

Luck..

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast