Thread: Taking eth1 out of monitor mode

Default Taking eth1 out of monitor mode

I am having a problem running Airodump/crack/replay after running Kismet. Or vice versa.

If I run Kismet, then the air tools, then Kismet again, Kismet says its not in monitor mode (or still in monitor mode) and exits. What do I type to fix it so I can run Kismet again?

Does Kismet need to be in iwconfig eth1 mode monitor? If not, how do I make it "not" in monitor mode. What is the opposite?

Thanks

iwconfig eth1 mode managed

Just burned his ISO

if you had bothered to scroll down about 9 posts or so you would have found exactly what your looking for

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=6842

Funny you should ask, wootski. I did "bother" to scroll down, however, when I typed that command in, Kismet still would not work.

You know, you wasted more time posting a link to another thread than it would have take to answer my question.

People who choose not to answer simple questions just so they can (attempt to) embarrass the original poster are pointless.

Thanks for the chap who helped, shame on the wootski who wasted his time.

Mike

did my post work?

Seven, it didnt work.

iwconfig eth1 mode managed didn't work. Kismet says something about some cards are tough to get out of monitor mode, could this be the case? I am using IPW3945 wireless internal card from ASUS A8JS.

Thanks again

i was under the impression you could not inject with the ipw cards.
    hmm.

anywho. ummm. try reloading the module.

what is the output when you do iwconfig?

When I type iwconfig eth1 mode monitor, it just drops to the next line with a new bash prompt. It does not error, nor does it say anything.

If I reboot BT and run Kismet BEFORE I run airodump, all is fine. But once I run airodump, then Kismet, Kismet will not load and says Kismet is exiting because the card is still in monitor mode.

The thing that baffles me is, I thought the card was SUPPOSED to be in monitor mode with Kismet. Why would it need to be in managed mode?

Im at work right now so i can't check but im pretty sure when kismet loads, it loads its own drivers and modules for your card to make a VAP. So when it is in use by airodump first, the modules and drivers that kismet tries to load are not working and therefore the VAP is not created. Try destroying your VAP and making it again.
    wlanconfig ath1 destroy

if not just try
    ifconfig eth1 down
    iwconfig eth1 mode managed
    ifconfig eth1 up

tell me how it goes. id rather problem solve this than work haha.