Thread: USB install will not boot.

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO EarthBoundMisfit's Avatar

Question USB install will not boot.

I have a Patriot XT 16 GB thumb drive I have installed BackTrack4-r2 to several times using two methods.

They are in the how to section of this website.
    http://www.infosecramblings.com/back...changesnessus/
    http://www.infosecramblings.com/back...changesnessus/

I am running Ubuntu10.04 as my base system on a Dell XPS M1710 with an upgraded hard drive and RAM.

I am using VMware Player with the same Backtrack installed on it. I have the USB stick grabbed by the virtual machine upon power on. The DVD is an ISO stored on my main machine and the virtual machine also grabs that upon boot and mounts it as a DVD. I have tried booting from the virtual DVD and installing.

I also have tried booting the DVD from my main system and running the same install procedure.

The downloaded ISO had been checked with the MD5sum provided. The DVD after being written has also been checked.

I am making sure during the install process, during the fdisk, that I activate the first partition the /boot partition.

All commands and their outputs are the same as the how to that I am following.

The problem is that once the system is rebooted it will not boot from the USB. I have made sure to remove or unmount all CD/DVDs. I have made sure to enable boot from USB options in the BIOS. I have tried it on the virtual, my laptop, one other laptop, and one other desktop. The same result occurs.

I boot, hit the key to select boot device, and choose USB. The system then does nothing but boot into the main system.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for you time,
    Earth Bound Misfit

Default Re: USB install will not boot.

I think we have common problem. It could be bug in vmware. Check if it boots in your machine not in vmware.

Just burned his ISO

I had complications installing backtrack to my usb drive as well, one thing i would suggest you do is use unetbootin like your websites suggested once backtrack is put onto the flashdrive using it, see if you can boot the flash drive afterwords. If you can't could be a BIOS issue on ur computer, or flash drive issue.

Have you tried following the *official* documentation/howto instead of 3rd party ones?
    They can be found at http://www.backtrack-linux.org/tutorials/.
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

I have tried it on the virtual, my laptop, one other laptop, and one other desktop. The same result occurs. ~ sostentado

Those are the links the official howto takes me to. They are the fourth and fifth tutorials. ~ voidnecron

Have you added it to /etc/fstab?
    Reading is the first step to education, critical thinking is a whole 'nother matter

Quote Originally Posted by fightclub View Post
    Have you added it to /etc/fstab?
    Now, that I have gone through the tutorial again, I noticed it does not specifically talk about adding the /boot partition to the fstab. It goes in depth into adding the encrypted partition however. I ended up reformatting it for another try before this post came along. I will try another install today.

Sorry about all delayed responses. I am a new user to the forum and have to wait for moderator approval before my posts show.