Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Determining Signal Strength

Hybrid View

Default Determining Signal Strength

So I've been working on various things to crack my WEP key. So far, things have been going quite well. Sorta.

One thing that I noticed is that I'm not getting anywhere NEAR the amount of IVs that I need.

In the span of 4hours, I had accumulated less than 1000. This is ridiculously slow.

I've searched the forum here, and I think I've determined the problem. Although I have no idea if it is or not.

I think it's the signal strength. 'Think' being the key word. I have no way to tell for sure.

At least right now.

So my question is, using the command line tools that are used to crack a WEP key, how can I determine what the signal strength is?

Airodump will report signal strength.

Netstumbler (Windows) will report signal strength using a supported card.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

I took a look at Airodump tho... And I think I know what you're talking about.

And therein lies my confusion. Right now, it's reporting it '-1'. No matter of where I move, this number doesn't change at all... Is there maybe something else that'll report the strength?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Snyper View Post
    I took a look at Airodump tho... And I think I know what you're talking about.

And therein lies my confusion. Right now, it's reporting it '-1'. No matter of where I move, this number doesn't change at all... Is there maybe something else that'll report the strength?
    I don't know what cards are properly supported in airodump, but not all cards will report signal strength properly. -1 may be an instance of that.

How far are you from the AP?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

kismet do it ...

iwconfig too (just the lnk strenght)
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    I don't know what cards are properly supported in airodump, but not all cards will report signal strength properly. -1 may be an instance of that.

How far are you from the AP?
    Anywhere from about 75ish feet to within 5...

And as far as the support goes, I suppose so. But everything else (including the deauth attacks) works fine. But I will try it with a different card...

Enigma101

Unhappy Re:Signal Strength

Britain is in the grip of a Wi-Fi revolution with offices, homes and classrooms going wireless - but there is concern the technology could carry health risks.
    If you do a search on google look up Panorama and visit BBC NEWS | Programmes | Panorama

For anyone who hasnt seen this Video I would go look before playing with Signal Strength.

Sorry I could provide you guys with a Direct hyperlink but the board wont let me as I havent made 15 post apparently....

Happy Surfing..

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Snyper View Post

In the span of 4hours, I had accumulated less than 1000. This is ridiculously slow.
    i had the same problem until i locked on to the channel and band of the router in airodump-ng

Quote Originally Posted by doggy View Post
    i had the same problem until i locked on to the channel and band of the router in airodump-ng

Yeah, I locked it to the right channel... One of the first things I checked...

if it is going slow, have you been trying replay attacks?

kismet also tells you signal strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast