Thread: Autopsy update

Hybrid View

Default Autopsy update

How would I go about updating to the newest Autopsy 2.22 ver. Currently it is 2.08. And also is SleuthKit added with this Autopsy ver because I read that Sleuth Kit must be installed before Autopsy is.

Or does it need to be added to the repo?
    The enemy is no longer ignorance - It is vigilance

Default Re: Autopsy update

Why don't you make a request in the Tool Request forum. Probably the best way.
    "Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Default Re: Autopsy update

Agreed, probably the best place for this request. I already had Sleuthkit 3.1.0 installed, compiled from source (all tools are placed in /usr/bin) added all the menu entries by hand under Backtrack/Digital Forensics and then download Autopsy 2.22. Untarred it to pentest/forensics, ran make and then copied the autopsy perl progam over to /usr/bin. When I click on Autopsy under Backtrack/Digital Forensics/Forensic Analysis I have Autopsy 2.22. Not as easy as installing from the repos, but I like compiling things myself. Until it is added, it's basically following the install notes for each package and doing a little extra work by hand.

Generally, more or less I would wait until it is added because I feel the fine people who make this distro do an awesome job (believe me I've used virtuallly every pentest/forensics distro there is) and there may or may not be support if something were to get messed up.