Thread: Dual Booting Issues (Win7/BT4)

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Dual Booting Issues (Win7/BT4)

Hey guys,
    I just installed BackTrack alongside my Windows 7. I went to boot my system without the live CD, and instead of getting a GRUB screen, it shot straight into Windows. I then swore incessantly for 15 minutes, and then looked at my hard disk, and sure enough, it said that there was BackTrack installed on the second partition, I just have absolutely no clue how to get my machine to recognize its existence. Any help would be awesome, and if you need any additional information about the problem, I can provide it to the best of my abilities.
    Thanks a grip.

Default Re: Dual Booting Issues (Win7/BT4)

This may not be info for beggners, but:
    - Boot from DVD (cd? BT3?)
    - mount your Bt partition
    - Edit your grub file and see if it helps.
    BTW, do you remember on what partition you installed GRUB?

Just burned his ISO

Yeah, it is a Live DVD. Umm, I don't know exactly where GRUB is, I just installed BT4 to free space on my hard disk. Care to shed a bit more light on where I may have messed up? I just ran the installer after shrinking my Winblows partition, and let the installer partition out the free space as it saw fit.

When restarting, drum roll on F8 or F9 (whichever brings you into boot options) and see if GRUB is one of the options. I am on the same setup but I get the boot that has BT4, BT4 recovery, Other OS, and Windows Vista/Longhorn even though I am running Win7. If that dont work, you might have to reinstall ssh. I followed the how to video to the letter and it did not steer me wrong. There are even other vidz that show you how to get the splash screen in a non text format and auto load the wicd for network connections. If I were you, I'd rather invest the time and reinstall that partition, but that's just the way I like to learn.

Good luck!

Just burned his ISO oliverkrystal's Avatar

You need to install grub to the root of the drive, not the root of the partition. I believe the defualt is to install GRUB to the mbr of the drive. If you disabled the GRUB installation, then you will have to reinstall grub. There are ways to do this without reinstalling backtrack completely.
    ------
    * Just trying to help as well as I can with what little I know. If I say something wrong, please tell me!
    * Made a thread and solved a problem? Make sure to say so.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverkrystal View Post
    You need to install grub to the root of the drive, not the root of the partition. I believe the defualt is to install GRUB to the mbr of the drive. If you disabled the GRUB installation, then you will have to reinstall grub. There are ways to do this without reinstalling backtrack completely.
    There might be another way to boot up without re-installing. On my PC, I can invoke "boot options" by pressing F9. See if you have thatl; it could be F10, F11 or F12 on your PC. It might let you select another partition to boot up from.
    My PC normally boots into Windows, but if I invoke "boot options", I can select another hard drive and it allows me to boot into hidden BT on another hard drive.

Just burned his ISO

Cool Re: Dual Booting Issues (Win7/BT4)

Boot from your bt cd, F12 at boot, then connect to the internet and then from your command line type
    update-grub
    I dont know if that will work from the live cd but try. I do know that when I installed bt4 on my compu
    (3 OS::Win,Ubuntu,BT4) when I tried to boot bt it gave an error so I booted into Ubuntu and ran the
    update-grub command which updated grub in all the partitions including bt, then i was able to boot bt.
    Also here is a link that hopefully will help you.
    http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/...0Commands.html http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ilies/cool.png

Maybe boot from live media and do:
    1. type "grub"
    2. "find /boot/grub/stage1" (Note the outcome)
    3. type "root (hd0,0)" Where 0,0 is your outcome from step 2
    4. type "setup (hd0)" Where 0 is the your HDD
    5. type "quit" and reboot