Thread: Dual Boot

Just burned his ISO

Default Dual Boot

Hey everyone, I am currently trying to install Back Track 4 Final alongside by current Windows 7 installation. When I get to step 4 of the installer for BT4, I am trying to partition my second hard drive to create a space for BT4. However, there is nothing to drag across or use to change the amount of space I want the partition to become.

Would it be a better idea to create an unallocated partition in Windows 7, reboot and then install BT4 into that partition I just created? I really don't want BT4 to take up all 833GB of space left on my hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Unforgiven Hero

Just burned his ISO

Default Dual Boot

Hi,

From last 3 days i am trying to post my question here but I dont know why its not posting. I am facing problem while dual booting windows 7 sp1 professional and backtrack 4 r2. Ubiquity installer doesnt shows my windows partition and it treats my whole hard disk as one. While i have created 3 partitions on the drive and also save some unsused space for installation ob bt. But whenever i try to install backtrack always says that it will used 100% disk space and there are no partition what so every.
    I tried to search forums also, but I only get to the point that may be I have to disable ahci mode or native mode. When i try to do it from my bios i didn't get any option and my vendor says that you cant do that. My laptop is HP g42.
    Please help me in resolving this problem.

And I request moderators that please let this post through or if am asking any thing wrong please message me so that I can ask the right question.

Thanks

Default Re: Dual Boot

If u hawe two [or u say 3 partitions].
    One is u Win7.
    U insert BT4r2 DvD. chose all normal. when ask to partition go manual [Last option down] chose u 2nd partition and u can delete it. Then make new one on same u delete with ext3, chose format. That option below ext, from drop menu chose first one.
    That works for me.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks. Actually when I dig down the problem it seems to be AHCI setting. When i tried to disable it bios my laptop vendor has delebrately given no option to disable it in bios. And when i asked him how to do it he keeps on repeating "sorry sir we dont support other os". It seems to be due to this problem that whole of my hard disk is treated as one. And i tried all the option including as suggested by you but only one big partition is shown no matter what i do.
    Please suggest if you know any work around.
    Thanks.

Just burned his ISO oliverkrystal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unforgivenhero View Post
    Would it be a better idea to create an unallocated partition in Windows 7, reboot and then install BT4 into that partition I just created? I really don't want BT4 to take up all 833GB of space left on my hard drive.
    Use the disk partitioning tool included within windows 7 to shrink the windows 7 partition. You can make the parititon any size your would like, though I would encourage you to allow at least 100 GB of space, in case you decided you want to keep 33gbs and some change or rainbow\word lists available to you
    ------
    * Just trying to help as well as I can with what little I know. If I say something wrong, please tell me!
    * Made a thread and solved a problem? Make sure to say so.

Quote Originally Posted by dreambig2212 View Post
    Thanks. Actually when I dig down the problem it seems to be AHCI setting. When i tried to disable it bios my laptop vendor has delebrately given no option to disable it in bios. And when i asked him how to do it he keeps on repeating "sorry sir we dont support other os". It seems to be due to this problem that whole of my hard disk is treated as one. And i tried all the option including as suggested by you but only one big partition is shown no matter what i do.
    Please suggest if you know any work around.
    Thanks.
    The forum "My Difgital Life" has a few individuals that volunteer their time (if provided correct information) modifying BIOSes. I had to get mine modified to include a new Wifi card that was not on the HP whitelist. Maybe you might wish to look into getting your whitelist deleted from your BIOS.