Thread: Installing BT4 on a partition with Linux Mint 10 Julia

Just burned his ISO

Default Installing BT4 on a partition with Linux Mint 10 Julia

Hello guys, I'm new to these forums and also this operating system, and I've made some mistake, probably, and I need some skilled person's insight on this.

Yesterday, I downloaded and burned BT4 on a DVD prior to installation.
    My laptop (Dell studio 1737) [[I know, it sucks, I didn't choose it]] was completely wiped from windows 2 months ago and I decided installing a clean and fresh version of Linux Mint 10 Julia distro. I formatted my whole hard drive in ext3 whilst doing so. I used this linux distro as my main for approximately 2 months now, and I've been using it for my important files and everything, school papers and whatnot.

So as I was saying about yesterday,
    I took my burned DVD of BT4, inserted in the drive, ran the Live CD, double-clicked the install.sh file and followed instructions. I resized the partitioning size and it seemed to aknowledge my other linux distro so I told myself (It's still going to be there in grub, don't worry). The installation continued, it formatted the 10 GB allocation space I had reserved for BT4 and told me I had to reboot in order to finish the installation.

I clicked reboot, rebooted, it opened up Grub stage1.5 and gave me multiple choices :

Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.34
    Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.34 (recovery mode)
    Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+

Other operating systems:
    'Linux Mint 10 64-bit, 2.6.35-22-generic (/dev/sda1)' -- class linuxmi
    'Linux Mint 10 64-bit, 2.6.35-22-generic (/dev/sda1) -- recovery mode

Obviously, being Ubuntu-based, BT4 is Ubuntu 8.10 as I don't have a Ubuntu distro on my computer. I now attempted to click on my Linux Mint distro :

Error 15 : File not found
    Press any key to continue...

I read up on these forums and many other topics around the web and I found out that my grub would probably be the problem, only, I don't have much knowledge in this and I can't afford losing my data on Mint.

I would need detailed information on what to write in the console, what to attempt and everything. I saw many people in the other forums posted the contents of their grub file but I'm unable to find it in BT4, and it's the only distro I have that works for now. Also, I'm unable to make internet work on it, and am currrently on my girlfriend's laptop.

Any help on finding GRUB file and what to do with it would be very appreciated!
    Sorry for the big brick of text, but as I've seen in multiple places, more information is better than less!

Thank you very much,
    Sebastian

Default Re: Installing BT4 on a partition with Linux Mint 10 Julia

Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Just burned his ISO

Just burned his ISO

Still jammed on this problem if anyone out there could help... Also wanted to add that I don't have the Linux Mint Live CD as my house burned down on March 11th and I lost it in the accident... If I need it I could manage to download it and go buy a blank DVD or something.

Just burned his ISO

** UPDATE! **

I finally fixed my problem by myself.
    Here is what I did, you can now lock this thread and leave it here as a sticky or for reading purposes, this may help someone else like me out!

After doing some reading, I realised the Back Track 4 BootLoader had overwritten by other one. As I installed Linux Mint first, the Grub 2.0 Bootloader was in place. When I installed Back Track 4 installation finished, it installed the Grub 1.5 bootloader over the 2.0 one, changing its settings over. I went to a public library to download Linux Mint 10: Julia and burn it to a DVD.

I booted up the live DVD and was able to access a temporary Linux Mint session, in which I could use the terminal. I opened it up and wrote :

Code:
    sudo blkid
    When you do this command, it will show all your different partitions on your drive. Find the one containing the currently-not-working linux distro (sda1 to 9 or hda1 to 9) As for my case, it was in sda1. After knowing on which one your installation is, type this : (I'll use mine [sda1] but replace it in the code by yours if it differs)

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    This is going to mount your currently-not-working distro. Then, do this :

Code:
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda --recheck
    It's going to say it completed successfully or something, and you can now close the terminal, remove the Live-DVD in the drive and reboot your computer. It's going to boot directly into your Linux distro you couldn'T access before with your real login and pass, and all your files (Surprise!)

When you're in, you have to open the terminal up again and write this :

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    This is going to make this distro's Grub (Which in my case is 2.0 instead of the 1.5 version BackTrack overwrote on my old one) update its partitions' locations.

All you have to do now is wait, you will see the terminal showing all the Operating systems it finds on your hard drive and add them to the GRUB bootloader. When it finishes, close your terminal and reboot your computer, only to find that both your distros now work as good as ever!

Thanks to sickness for having led me in the right direction!
    I hope this "tutorial" helps someone like me that is desperate at finding his files back !

Regards,
    ~Sebaslegrand

Just burned his ISO

How did that end part work for you? ive been trying to get BT working with GRUB2 for nearly a week, with post on tons of forums and no luck.....

Mod Edit: No email needed.
    Last edited by sickness; 04-12-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Just burned his ISO

You mean the last part of my UPDATE how-to-fix post?