Thread: Few questsions

Just burned his ISO

Default Few questsions

First, is backtrack running off of a Debian build or a Ubuntu build? According to Wikipedia it claims Backtrack 4 has now switched to a Debian base, but my pc shows it's Ubuntu 8.1. Which one are we officially using? lol

Second, I ran an apt-get update to see whats going on. Then I ran an apt-get upgrade to install any updates, sure enough they are gobs of them. Are these updates being listed safe to install on backtrack or should I stay away from updating backtrack through the apt-get command?

Thanks for the help in advance!
    whopper

Default Re: Few questsions

BackTrack 4 is based on Debian kernel source and Ubuntu packages.

Its fine to update via apt-get upgrade.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

It is ONLY safe, and I repeat ONLY safe IF you have not added any other repo's.

If you have other repos added then you WILL break your system, which is why we have gone to great lengths to ensure that everything in our repo's is safe to add to your system.

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    It is ONLY safe, and I repeat ONLY safe IF you have not added any other repo's.

If you have other repos added then you WILL break your system, which is why we have gone to great lengths to ensure that everything in our repo's is safe to add to your system.
    Good point. This advice will apply to a number of other apt-package-based distributions as well. For some reason its only in BackTrack that people add other repositories and then become confused when their system breaks after an update.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    For some reason its only in BackTrack that people add other repositories and then become confused when their system breaks after an update.
    I haven't figured that one out yet either. Although I have added a few ppa's to get packages that I wanted to play with, but entire repo's makes not sense to me.