Thread: Several config files reset on reboot

Just burned his ISO

Default Several config files reset on reboot

Hello, I am having quite a bit of trouble with xorg.conf and /etc/network/interfaces reseting to default on every system reboot. So every time I start the system I have to write down ' aticonfig --initial' to startup (otherwise I get no screens found and gotta use fixvesa which makes the resolution awful). I read on google quite a bit of threads, but 99% of them seem to be connected with a buggy nvidia driver/script that resets xorg.conf, however I have nothing of such installled as I am with a Ati GPU. Another thing I tried is chattr +i /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but I get the following error:

chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    (same happens with /etc/network/interfaces)

I'm running Backtrack 4 R2 from a Persistent USB on a MSI GX740 laptop with an Ati HD5870. I used the HOW-TO guide – Install BackTrack Persistent to USB (With Nessus). Everything else works so far.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Several config files reset on reboot

It seems fstab and and clock settings also reset However, /etc/group for example doesn't reset as I have edited the audio string to add 'root' to get sound and it stays between reboots

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Several config files reset on reboot

Since no one seems to know what could be the problem I decided to completely wipe out the usb stick and reinstall everything all over again step by step by the Install BackTrack Persistent to USB (With Nessus) from the How To section. Everything went well, I installed the ati's latest official drivers, did a aticonfig --initial and rebooted. However once again, xorg.conf has reset to default and I got a vesa: no screens found error :/ aticonfig --initial fixes the problem, but same thing happens on every reboot.

Known config files to reset so far:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    /etc/network/interfaces
    /etc/fstab

and also passwd command resets after reboot, no idea where that is even stored. (after rebooting passwd resets to toor).

All in all it seems it has something to do with the /etc/ folder or god knows what, and so far no sight of fixing this. Does anyone at least have any suggestions on how to set those particular files to not change (temporary manual fix so to speak) ?

Thanks in advance