Thread: Hack Lab for me and my son

Just burned his ISO

Default Hack Lab for me and my son

First hello to everybody and to the devs thanks for such a great distro. Right down to business my son wants to get into hacking not because he wants to hack his mates msn account but because he is really into computers and I mentioned that I learnt allot of what I know about computers from hacking them. So basically I’m looking for some ideas of challenges I can setup at home for him I have some spare equipment that I was going to use to set up a little LAN for him to practice on without fear of breaking any laws plus this will allow him to see both sides of the attacks.

Here is what hardware I can dedicate to the project so far

2 P4 2.4Ghz PC`s ,
    Dell Dual core 2.2ghz 2gb Ram
    EEE 1005HA netbook The Wifi card supports packet injection
    USB RT73 wifi b/g also supports packet injection
    LinkSys WRT54G Router,
    Sitecom Gigabit Router,
    24 Port 10/100 Switch,
    8 Port 10/100/1000 Switch.

What I was thinking so far was to set the Linksys router up and get him cracking the wep/wpa then Mac filtering and then go on to sniffing and mapping the network. As for the OS`s I was going to set up some virtual machines with Win 98/2000/XP/Vista on also I have a copy of metasploitable. Then as we move on start a few Services up such as ftp http and the like along with some web apps.

Now if any one has any ideas of the best way to structure this to enable alot of attack types also if anyone knows of any systems like metasploitable or things that could generate traffic on the network things like that and what tools on backtrack we should look at using i would prefer to use command line tools so he can learn the foundations of the tools before we move onto Gui based tools but please mention both versions of the tools if Gui exisits, it would be a great help and I’m open to all suggestions.
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: Hack Lab for me and my son

Here I think this might contain some testing environments similar to Metasploitable: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ted-links.html

Also here: http://www.metasploit.com/learn-more...t/test-lab.jsp
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

I'd suggest also getting an older ASA/PIX and setting that up.
    You can get a technet subscription for $200/yr, and it gives you dozens of licenses for various MS products (SQLServer, Win7, Win2k8, Win2k3, Exchange, WinXP, etc). Setting up a "production" network to test against would be pretty simple given all the virtualization that abounds (VBox, VMWare, Xen, etc). With these relatively cheap investments, followed with a few smatterings of CentOS, you should have a luscious environment for practicing all sorts of hacks (and learning all sorts of interesting tricks... for instance, setting up GRE Tunnels, setting up SSH+pppd tunnels, using sshfs, using tftp, using netcat, etc.)

Just my $0.02

Just burned his ISO

A a quick suggestion, make sure your son get's down the basics of everything. Intro to programming and networking classes at my local colleges are the ultimate reason I'm so good at what I do today.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Here I think this might contain some testing environments similar to Metasploitable: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ted-links.html

Also here: http://www.metasploit.com/learn-more...t/test-lab.jsp
    g0tmi1k put an awesome post with a ton of vulnerable by design objects to practice pentesting with. It may be of help here-

HTML Code:
    http://g0tmi1k.blogspot.com/2011/03/vulnerable-by-design.html

Just burned his ISO

All i can say is WOW thank you everybody for your input and ootuoyetahi & sickness it is going to take weeks to work through that lot but on the flip side ultimate lamp and the like are going to save me weeks of setup time.

do you think it would be worth setting up a dedicated firewall box such as pfsense one of the reasons i ask is i would also like to study DOS and DDOS attacks and defense with him and i thought if i set up ten boxes on the gigabit side of the network sort of a mini botnet and then 1 server on the 10/100 side the botnet should have the bandwidth to shut the server down.

As for college classes stevo937 one thing i should of mentioned is my son is only 11 but i`m sure he will be doing something like this at college . On the programming side i already code in PHP, and as i test i tried my son with small basic and he loves it but i`m stuck i just cant work out what language to teach him. i have been looking at Python or maybe just sticking with the basic route and moving onto VB but i would prefer a cross platform language. i understand that what language is best is very subjective but i`m open to all input.

one again thank you all for such a wealth of info
    BinaryG

Programming languages (my opinion): Python, Perl, Bash. I personally prefer Python and Bash but all of them are quite easy to learn (Basic level) and are pretty good at creating quick scripts to aid in a pentest.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !