Thread: Installed Backtrack automounts Backtrack partition

Just burned his ISO

Question Installed Backtrack automounts Backtrack partition

I installed backtrack to my hard drive and have a couple of annoyances I would like to share with you guys and see if you can help me at least understand them. I searched the forums and couldn't find anyone else who seemed to be asking about this. Perhaps it's that simple.

Backtrack is my second partition; XP my first. I noticed that whenever I tried searching for something, 'find' would tell me that there was a filesystem loop; sda2 was still being mounted to /mnt/sda2 at boot. I'd unmount it and continue. However, I'm lazy and would like to do it right rather than continually unmount it. I checked /etc/fstab and sure enough, there it was.
    Code:
    /dev/sda2 / auto defaults 1 1
    tmpfs / tmpfs defaults 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 # Autoupdate
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc_cdrom iso9660 noauto,users,suid,dev,exec 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ntfs auto,noatime,users,suid,dev,exec,ro 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2 ext2 auto,noatime,users,suid,dev,exec 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    /dev/sda3 swap swap auto,defaults 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat,msdos noauto,noatime,users,suid,dev,exec 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    So I thought... This'll be easy. I'll just delete the second line referring to sda2 and be done with it. I did this, unmounted the partition, and removed the sda2 directory in /mnt only to find that when I rebooted, fstab was changed back and the partition was mounted again. So I decided to google around. I found some references to automount and autofs, so I checked out the manual for them and looked around for their config files. The configs were nowhere to be found, though. So apparently automount isn't doing anything. Now I've run out of ideas. Any help fixing this slight irritation would be wonderful.

One more thing I didn't feel it was necessary to make another post for: I installed lilo for my dual boot and changed the config to read-write as directed. However, now the filesystem check pops up at every boot complaining. It seemingly wants the fs to be mounted first as read-only. However, I'm scared to try this for fear of messing things up. Would you guys mind explaining this to me so I understand what's happening?

Thanks for your help.
    Patrick

You could write a script in the autostart folder to umount the drive when it boots up. I'm not sure what file AutoUpdates the fstab, otherwise I would direct you there.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

yes open Konqueror click go / Autostart
    create a script here for what you do
    each time kde will start the script will be executed
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb Got it!

After a while of more googling, I gave up on finding the answer there and set out using grep to search for fstab in various config places. After a little while, I found what I was looking for in /etc/rc.d/rc.slax In this directory, there are two references to the binary called fstab-update. There are two lines referring to this file in there. Both need to be commented out in order for it to work. After this is done, fstab can be fixed, the directory deleted, and it stays that way. HOORAY!

An explanation of my second question would still be awesome, though.

Thanks,

Patrick

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

well it's FSCK who claims this ..... just hit enter it will go with no pb.....
    you won't be able to stop this annoying message....if you stay in rw mode....
    do your changes to FileSystem and go back in ro mode..............................
    save your datas in another partitions that's all

hope helps
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Question Filesystem loop entry for /dev/sdx

Patrick319:
    I have a very similar problem with a duplicate reference to /dev/sdx x==3 in my case. I used the VMware hard disk install guide, but that should not make any difference.

Commented it out of /etc/fstab, but I still get the same filesystem loop error.

I have seen the references you mentioned in /etc/rc.d/rc.slax but fail to see how removing these entries would resolve the issue.

My question is twofold:
    a. how did the first entry of "/dev/sdax / auto defaults 1 1" get placed into the fstab?
    b. has nobody else noticed this behaviour when running "find"?

*pop* first post