Thread: Problems with Graphic drivers

Just burned his ISO

Default Problems with Graphic drivers

I have been using Backtrack for a while and have never had any problems installing the drivers for GPU on the computers where I needed it. But on my new laptop I have some problems. I have a very low screen resolution and I need it bigger. In openSUSE and Ubuntu I get a much better resolution. So I have been trying to install the drivers from nvidia but no luck. I just get error each time after installation with x-server. I have followed a lot of guides on changing stuff in the xorg.conf via nano but with no luck.

So what I need to fix is the resolution. I don´t need the drivers for other stuff. So if there is an fix without the drivers I would love that. I have an other computer that do brute with GPUs.

Here is a link to my computer:
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=qcgJ2RirwkZL7Hpa

Specs:
    ASUS U31JG
    Intel Core I5 460M with inbuilt GPU I think.
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 415M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM

Help is appreciated

Default Re: Problems with Graphic drivers

How did you install the driver? apt-get install nvidia-driver?
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

Just burned his ISO

I have tried both methods.

apt-get install nvidia-drivers

and direct download from nvidia website.

But always it messes up. But I can try again with the new drivers but I need to know how to reset it back because I don´t want to reinstall again. So is there away to remove the nvidia driver again so it works?

@ Longjidin

I am in the same boat as Luretryne, but the link you provided allowed me to download the driver to my BT desktop, but when I opened it, it opened in a Kate text file. I am running an HP V6500 with BT4r2 as my secondary partition to Win7 on dual boot.

What BT program do I need to execute the .run file?

Just burned his ISO

But does anyone know how to remove the nvidia driver if the xserver fails? Because I don't want to reinstall on everytime I try.

Quote Originally Posted by freemyggle View Post
    @ Longjidin

I am in the same boat as Luretryne, but the link you provided allowed me to download the driver to my BT desktop, but when I opened it, it opened in a Kate text file. I am running an HP V6500 with BT4r2 as my secondary partition to Win7 on dual boot.

What BT program do I need to execute the .run file?
    I found the solution to all my graphics/resolution problems in THIS POST in the "How To" section of this forum.

It explained how to run the command that locates my exact graphics card driver version required to run on BackTrack, a link to NVidia to select the proper driver to download, and how to install it correctly so it boots into the good resolution every time.

The apt-get install nvidia-driver(s) only works when the (s) is omitted. I also had some difficulty initially launching the .run file, but I found my way to completely logging out of X to the splash screen where I typed "sh NV" then hit the <tab> key on my keyboard and it completed the sentence to the driver I downloaded. Then pressed <enter> key and it installed.

Though this is applicable to NVidia drivers, Im sure the procedures can be modified to locate other graphics drivers for other GPU's. Anyway, I greatly appreciate the author of that post for saving me from a lot of stress.