Thread: install from hdd using grub

confuded

Default install from hdd using grub

Well if no one wants to help me with the hda script error in my previous post, I thought of installing backtrack or booting it as a live CD using grub.

My idea: boot grub and boot the live cd of the hdd? Is that possible and practical?

Thanks.

P.S. Here is the thread which noone wanted to answer to... forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=6609

Quote Originally Posted by confuded View Post
    Well if no one wants to help me with the hda script error in my previous post, I thought of installing backtrack or booting it as a live CD using grub.

My idea: boot grub and boot the live cd of the hdd? Is that possible and practical?

Thanks.

P.S. Here is the thread which noone wanted to answer to... forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=6609
    Why would you need grub to boot a live cd?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by confuded View Post

Thanks.

Wtf does GRUB have to do with this? From what I have gathered, the BT live cd won't run off your firewire cd rom. So you are running the iso off the C:\ or something like that. The solution I see is to buy a regular external cd rom or follow shamanvirtuel's guide to install BT to a usb device using his gui interface.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

usb install is the better solution sure for you .....

BTW my usb installer will be NOT released before the 21 of may, but beta testing versions are flying in this forum....(im currently integrating the whole language install 25 langs....)

EASY WAY >>> go windows(holy shit)
    extract or mount iso
    copy /boot and /BT directory onto usb(you need 700 Mo min, and format it to fat32)
    cd to /boot directory ONTO USB
    run bootinst.bat
    reboot
    you're done

hope helps

Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    go windows(holy shit)
    lol nice one.

confuded

How come it does not support firewire... common!

Thanks guys, at least this time you are being helpful... So none solved why the installation didn't work by booting the shell of the cd and then the rest of the hdd? I installed PCLinuxOS like that... Oh well...

I will try to get a 1gig flash drive and install the OS of of it...

The other thread that I made (a link in first post) it went OK, and booted (read the stuff of the hdd), but after it gave an hda_script error: invaliddep range or something like that (there is a picture in the other thread). I was thinking that it doesn't realy matter how I install the OS, it's just something wrong with my hdd since hda is hdd (I think)...

Thank you very much.

P.S. I am running PCLinuxOS currently...

confuded

No luck. I bought a 1gig U3 cruzer, booted up backtrack on another PC and installed the 700mb install to USB. It booted up and gave me the same "hda_codec invalid dep range SALSA" thing which I posted in the other thread...

Can someone pleeeeease help, I beg of you. I want all thos bluetooth hacks, preinstalled aircrack and madwifi distro. Pllllzzzzz.

Thanks!

EDIT: Wait a minute.... Do I have to format it to FAT32?!?! Or I can leave it in FAT?! What soft I use for formating? Can I just convert my C:\ from NTFS to FAT32 and then boot? Thanks again...

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

just a hint not a solution
    sounds like soundcard driver pb (alsa)....maybe deactivate drivers at boot time will allow you to do the job..........

try to boot by

bt debug
    go on until last step before error
    at shell prompt type lsmod | grep *alsa*
    it will list all alsa driver loaded >>> modprobe -r each one >>> go on after hiting ctrl D, if this works just add the incrimined drivers to modprobe blacklist in order to prevent load them.......
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006