Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backtrack on a Smartphone

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack on a Smartphone

Guys,

I am looking to buy a new smartphone, mobile/pda with WiFi, Bluetooth, Infrared. Was wondering if anyone has ported BT to a smartphone like the IPAQ or any other. Would be pretty interesting if i could have all my tools on a phone.
    Certainly would make driving alot more fun.

Hermit

i was wondering if it will be possible to put it back track 3 onto the HTC Touch Pro 2.....or if i should try it on a less expensive device??

i recon my best best is a netbook which would set me back £200.0
    anyway is it possible to get back track onto any smartphone....any recommendations?

thanks

al

Quote Originally Posted by overheat View Post
    i was wondering if it will be possible to put it back track 3 onto the HTC Touch Pro 2.....or if i should try it on a less expensive device??

i recon my best best is a netbook which would set me back £200.0
    anyway is it possible to get back track onto any smartphone....any recommendations?

thanks

al
    I ported it to the Openmoko Freerunner under the Neopwn distribution, which is about as close as you can come right now. I also have a Touch Pro, and as soon as a USB host mode driver is developed I will support the Touch Pro 1/2 as well (since it is an awesome platform).

There is one more device I can't speak of right now that supports Linux out of the box, which I will need to test this month.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

What about porting the tools over to say a google phone?

Quote Originally Posted by aspekt9 View Post
    What about porting the tools over to say a google phone?
    The source code is out there, get to work!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

I've been saying this is a good idea !!! if anyones interested I have all the cross compiling tools for mipsel and arm processors and some emulators for some phones

Anyone for making a small version of bt4 for mips etc ?? lol It would be difficult because we would have to patch and build a kernel and keep the size down to a min so no kde but this would be cool because there are loads of cheap devices you could use this for.

OP is asking for the whole BT distro on a smartphone or similar platform.

I have to say that I've dreamt of this before, however my experience with the HTC Touch Diamond on Sprint leads me to some conclusions...

1) Do you realize that the Qualcomm MSM7201 processor runs at a paltry 528MHz? How do you think aircrack-ng would run? My guess is S-L-O-W. Don't even try to load up a big word list for WPA(192MB on-board RAM).

2) Care to go wardriving? Hope you can tolerate poor WiFi reception. We're talking about internal antenna with ~2DBi rating. What are you going to pull in with that?

3) Are you going inject packets? Now you're asking for the WiFi chipset to support it. Unknown at this point. Even if you could, now you're draining your puny 900mAH battery rapidly.

For my HTC Touch Diamond with WiFi and GPS support, here's a modest collection of applications available to help you wardrive:

1) Try Aspecto Software WiFiFoFum This will support GPS and you can save the file in .KML format for later viewing with google maps.

2) Try Pontisoft Sniffi Also with GPS support, a slick interface and 'radar' feature to help you pinpoint APs.

3) Google Maps for Winblows Mobile With .KML files, you can view your results on the device.

This whole topic is deserving of its own thread, perhaps.

Bottom line: My dream of a BT distro for a smartphone platform is dead. I'm perfectly happy to collect info in the field and bring it back home for analysis later. Your mileage may vary.

Very best of luck, and let us know how it goes.
    You. Are. Doing. It. Wrong.
    -Gitsnik

Quote Originally Posted by kidFromBigD View Post
    OP is asking for the whole BT distro on a smartphone or similar platform.

I have to say that I've dreamt of this before, however my experience with the HTC Touch Diamond on Sprint leads me to some conclusions...

1) Do you realize that the Qualcomm MSM7201 processor runs at a paltry 528MHz? How do you think aircrack-ng would run? My guess is S-L-O-W. Don't even try to load up a big word list for WPA(192MB on-board RAM).

2) Care to go wardriving? Hope you can tolerate poor WiFi reception. We're talking about internal antenna with ~2DBi rating. What are you going to pull in with that?

3) Are you going inject packets? Now you're asking for the WiFi chipset to support it. Unknown at this point. Even if you could, now you're draining your puny 900mAH battery rapidly.

For my HTC Touch Diamond with WiFi and GPS support, here's a modest collection of applications available to help you wardrive:

1) Try Aspecto Software WiFiFoFum This will support GPS and you can save the file in .KML format for later viewing with google maps.

2) Try Pontisoft Sniffi Also with GPS support, a slick interface and 'radar' feature to help you pinpoint APs.

3) Google Maps for Winblows Mobile With .KML files, you can view your results on the device.

This whole topic is deserving of its own thread, perhaps.

Bottom line: My dream of a BT distro for a smartphone platform is dead. I'm perfectly happy to collect info in the field and bring it back home for analysis later. Your mileage may vary.

Very best of luck, and let us know how it goes.

I used to wardrive with an iPaq. It's really no problem, you're maps will actually be a bit more accurate with a lower dBi antenna. There are a few of us here on the forums that have run a few of the BT apps on handheld devices, they work, just a little slower than a laptop.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I used to wardrive with an iPaq. It's really no problem, you're maps will actually be a bit more accurate with a lower dBi antenna. There are a few of us here on the forums that have run a few of the BT apps on handheld devices, they work, just a little slower than a laptop.

@Barry - thanks for your perspective on this.

In my experience, yes the smaller antennas do okay, but the accuracy of the results often leave me, well, puzzled. It has to do with the orientation of the handheld device with respect to the WiFi signal I'm thinking. The HTC Diamond's radio stage is in the bottom of the device(similar to the iPhone), and the simple act of holding it your hand introduces a barrier to reception. You were probably much more careful to control for these factors during your iPaq outings.

Comparing laptop versus smartphone "reconaissance runs" of the same stretch of pavement lead me to believe the lappy is superior: Better antennas with polarity diversity in-built, better Dbi, sticking out of my backpack, oriented in the same manner the whole trip, dedicated GPS listening to the birds.

Others?
    You. Are. Doing. It. Wrong.
    -Gitsnik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast