Thread: Cracking router login password

Just burned his ISO

Default Cracking router login password

Hey there everyone..

I have an issue with my router, I have forgotten the password to gain access to the setup.. It a DG834G netgear, I have tried using hydra on backtrack 4 but i don't think a normal password list is going to cut it. The password is 16 characters long with random letters and numbers ( i used a password generator).. can anybody help me?? any info would be good... I don't want to reset the router because i will loose all if the custom configuration..

Default Re: Cracking router login password

You can save the router configuration and load it after the reset.

Is it possible to save the configuration without logging in first though?

I have so much trouble with these.... router configurations are not exactly difficult on SOHO routers. When this happens to your cisco router, and there may actually be some difficulty with reconfiguration, then I'll take this seriously. Just reset the netgear and reconfigure it already. If you are not willing to do this, I must assume it is not your device.

It would be easier to just redo all of your settings. Its your network so you should be able to do that right? What "custom" settings could you have made that would make it easier to crack than just reset it.

otherwise you will get more assistance by googling "router cracking"

/thread
    "Never do anything against conscience -- even if the state demands it."
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iproute View Post
    I have so much trouble with these.... router configurations are not exactly difficult on SOHO routers. When this happens to your cisco router, and there may actually be some difficulty with reconfiguration, then I'll take this seriously. Just reset the netgear and reconfigure it already. If you are not willing to do this, I must assume it is not your device.
    Agreed. In the time the OP has already wasted in trying to brute force their own password they could have simply reset and reconfigured.

As is true with any IT system or device backup backup backup. Chances are you backup your family pictures, taxes, or other data that's important to you. If you really cared about having to restore/re-configure your router why wouldn't you backup the config?

As always you can use google, or just boot BT and make the amazing leap that you should maybe check the menu for entries like "Password" etc. There are numerous tools you could use.
    Last edited by thorin; 03-30-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

I assure you all that this is legitimate. The other reason I haven't walked downstairs and hit the reset button is I like to do things the hard way and to learn a few things along the way.. but this is going to be one of those times I will go the easier way.. unless I come across something in the next day or two.. thanks for your help anyway..

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post

As always you can use google, or just boot BT and make the amazing leap that you should maybe check the menu for entries like "Password" etc. There are numerous tools you could use.
    can u mention one of these tools that will crack the router login ?

Quote Originally Posted by zaidoon View Post
    can u mention one of these tools that will crack the router login ?
    Serious do some searching, it isn't that difficult. You will find there are many pieces of software that will perform attacks against login forms. ill give you 1 medussa.