Thread: Hardware/software performance issues?

Just burned his ISO

Default Hardware/software performance issues?

I have a BackTrack v2.0 Final hard drive install on two machines, a 800mhz VIA C3 desktop with 1gb RAM and a 60gb 5400rpm hard drive, and on a 800mhz Pentium 3 laptop with 512mb RAM and a 20gb 5400rpm hard drive.

I have no problems what so ever with performance on the laptop, everything runs fast and smooth. But on the desktop, my major issue is with the performance of GUI based applications such as Firefox, Ettercap and Wireshark. When using the scroll wheel of the mouse in Firefox, the scrolling action is very jerky and delayed, not very smooth at all.

What could be causing these performance issues? Its driving me nuts!

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

have you activate swap ???
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

I had created a swap partition when setting up the drive with qtparted, but looking at it just now it does not state that it is active.

The only partition stated as active is my NTFS partition, but I am having issues booting that as well. Could these two issues be related somehow?

I am going to try and set the swap partition as active and see what happens.

Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Even with the swap partition set as active I am still experiencing the same issues, both with the performance and the ability to boot from my NTFS partition.

What I may end up doing is just starting over from scratch on this machine, oh well!

Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

I just installed a fresh Windows XP/BackTrack v2.0 Final dual boot, and still have the same performance issues with both Firefox and Konqueror.

One of two things I can think of that may be hindering the performance of this machine and these applications...

1. The ATA bus speed. Perhaps this 2.5" hard drive suffers performance wise when attached to an ATA-66 bus/cable?

2. The AGP aperture size. The BIOS is set at 64mb, but BackTrack detects is as 128mb?!?

Could anyone see why any of these two points may be affecting this system?

Thanks.