Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not detecting my PCMCIA Card

Default Not detecting my PCMCIA Card

So I have a wireless PCMCIA card, Netgear WG511. I know that it works since it works fine in Window$. But for some reason, BT2 doesn't appear to detect it.

Now, I say appear, because it does not appear when I use ifconfig or iwconfig. It is listed in the HCL, but only V1 is *REALLY* supported to inject and detect and all that fun stuff. I'll be the first to admit, I have NO idea which version I have, nor do I know how to check.

In any case, I can't seem to use it.

I'm using the LiveCD.

I tried booting both with the card inserted at boottime, as well as putting the card in AFTER BT2 has loaded.

I tried searching for anything with this, but can't seem to find anything.

Does BT2 have a a USB/PCMCIA "monitor" that'll detect when something new is plugged in? Or do you have to start a service or enter some kind of command to get it going?

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

plug it and try

lspcmcia to see if it's up like lsusb for usbs
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Snyper View Post
    So I have a wireless PCMCIA card, Netgear WG511. I know that it works since it works fine in Window$. But for some reason, BT2 doesn't appear to detect it.

Now, I say appear, because it does not appear when I use ifconfig or iwconfig. It is listed in the HCL, but only V1 is *REALLY* supported to inject and detect and all that fun stuff. I'll be the first to admit, I have NO idea which version I have, nor do I know how to check.

In any case, I can't seem to use it.

I'm using the LiveCD.

I tried booting both with the card inserted at boottime, as well as putting the card in AFTER BT2 has loaded.

I tried searching for anything with this, but can't seem to find anything.

Does BT2 have a a USB/PCMCIA "monitor" that'll detect when something new is plugged in? Or do you have to start a service or enter some kind of command to get it going?
    With BT2 running, remove the card, then reinsert it. Type "dmesg" and the last few lines should refer to what happens when you reinsert your card.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

what does "dmesg" do?

what does "dmesg" do?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmesg
    In other words, it should tell you if your card is being recognized, and if so, what drivers are being loaded.

I NEVER would have thought of looking at wikipedia...

thanks...

I NEVER would have thought of looking at wikipedia...

thanks...
    Wikipedia is generally accurate for basic stuff. I wouldn't rely on it as a primary source, though.

Google is also your friend. Try "man dmesg" which will show you the manual page for the dmesg command.

it's been my experience though, that man pages are written for people who know what they're doing.

I, on the other hand, have NO idea what I'm doing.

But I'll check that out, maybe things have changed... I'm not quite a n00b to linux, I know enough to get myself into some pretty complex situations, but nowhere near enough to get myself OUT...lol...

but thanks for that info...

it's been my experience though, that man pages are written for people who know what they're doing.

I, on the other hand, have NO idea what I'm doing.

But I'll check that out, maybe things have changed... I'm not quite a n00b to linux, I know enough to get myself into some pretty complex situations, but nowhere near enough to get myself OUT...lol...

but thanks for that info...
    Even if the man pages are advanced, you might find Wikipedia or other searches for dmesg to be fruitful.

Spyder have you figured out your problem as yet? Cause i am having the same problem too, when I boot I see a error message saying BT is going to start up with a no pcmcia option, during startup look to see if you are seeing that. Maybe there is a way to edit the startup script to allow this to work.....

I could be wrong here but if anyone else figure something out please post....
    A wise man ask questions, A fool is afraid of knowledge!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast