Thread: Use BT2 as main OS?

Just burned his ISO

Default Use BT2 as main OS?

Hi,

I was finally able to get BT2 installed as a dual boot on my laptop, and it's been awfully fun, however, I'd like to use the OS to also do 'real work' . I've been trying to install some packages I'd like to use such as Open Office (the slackware version) but I can't get anything to install. I've tried using installpkg and it seems to start working but as soon as it says (paraphrasing) 'installing package' it just drops to the shell command line and nothing else happens. I've tried manually untar-ing the file and installing, but again it will act like it's doing something and then just stop.

Am I missing something simple?? I'm a 'mostly noob', I've played around with other distros, and I'm fairly comfortable with using the console...

Any help appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by htrboy View Post
    Hi,

I was finally able to get BT2 installed as a dual boot on my laptop, and it's been awfully fun, however, I'd like to use the OS to also do 'real work' . I've been trying to install some packages I'd like to use such as Open Office (the slackware version) but I can't get anything to install. I've tried using installpkg and it seems to start working but as soon as it says (paraphrasing) 'installing package' it just drops to the shell command line and nothing else happens. I've tried manually untar-ing the file and installing, but again it will act like it's doing something and then just stop.

Am I missing something simple?? I'm a 'mostly noob', I've played around with other distros, and I'm fairly comfortable with using the console...

Any help appreciated!!
    Yes, this has been addressed in a previous post. Use search function. Also, this wasn't designed to be a regular stand alone OS for writing up docs, doing homework, etc. Its a pen testing suite.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

not designed for this usage but if u want here is a procedure for creating modules

find sources
    untar sources in a dir
    cd to this dir
    configure
    make
    checkinstall
    a package .tgz will be created need to convert to lzmformat
    tgz2lzm name.tgz name.lzm

after i you want it loaded each time you start the live distrib copy it rootofusbinstall/bt/modules/

or easier but weirder i think download a slax module (http://slax.org/modules), convert it with mo2lzm module.mo module.lzm

hope helps
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I understand that BT2 is meant to do one thing really well - just thought it'd be cool to use it for other stuff.

Along those lines, I would like to be able to do wireless packet analysis and I've been trying to install wireshark and have been having similar issues. Haven't searched this forum yet to see if there is a solution - As soon as I post this I'll start looking...

Wireshark is included in BT2 so there is no need to install it.

it is under privilege escalation.

just wondering though...what is the difference between wireshark and wireshark wifi?

quote directly from Tools page of wiki
    "Wireshark Wifi - Wireshark with Wifi Injection Patch allows the user to select a packet opened with wireshark and edit it and reinject throught LORCON injection library."
    Link

Just burned his ISO

Crap! Should've realized it was already in there!! Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieFire View Post
    quote directly from Tools page of wiki
    "Wireshark Wifi - Wireshark with Wifi Injection Patch allows the user to select a packet opened with wireshark and edit it and reinject throught LORCON injection library."
    Link
    So nice when people actually read the documentation...
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";