Thread: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card)

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card)

Kernel: Linux bt 2.6.35.8 #1 SMP Sun Nov 14 06:32:36 EST 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    Wireless Card: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card)

I've had to resort to posting for help with this one, i've got a fairly new SandyBridge Dell XPS with the wireless card in the subject and i've spent the best part of a day trying to get backtrack to work how I want it to.

I know enough to get around Linux but am mostly at home in debian and have rarely had to mess with drivers so this is pretty new to me.

I've had a long battle with X but have managed to get it running on the intel gpu at low res and now i'm moving onto the wifi.

When I do a /etc/init.d/networking start eth0 comes up fine and gets a DHCP address if i've got it connected but every other interface (and there are a few - bluetooth, wwan mobile, wlan) fail to start.

If I run "ifconfig wlan0 up" I get:

Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    My first stop was http://intellinuxwireless.org/ where I downloaded iwlwifi-6000g2b-ucode-17.168.5.2.tgz and dumped the ucode file in /lib/firmware and rebooted with no success.

What has confused me a little is that the main page of the site says

"Note: The iwlwifi driver has been merged into mainline kernel since 2.6.24. If you are using kernels after this release, please use the intree (drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi) driver directly."

This suggests to me that BT using 2.6.35.8 should "just work" as the card is listed on the main page as a supported one...

The closest i've managed to get to any kind of working was by trying to use the compat-wireless iwlagn driver but I followed a guide to install it all along the lines of:

Grab http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...ss-2.6.tar.bz2

extract

cd /compat-wireless-2.6

./scripts/driver-select iwglan

make

make install

make wlunload
    (not sure if it was wlunload or something slightly different but either way I rebooted after anyway)

With this done I gained a new interface in ifconfig - wwan0 which I think is the mobile broadband card not wlan.

After much messing in that state I found that rfkill was showing all interfaces were both soft and hard blocked and it wouldnt unblock them - the fn+wifi switch simple unblocked the bluetooth for some reason

I've reverted from this setup to a new one with just the firmware installed and no compat-wireless and rfkill now shows:

Code:
    0: hci0: Bluetooth
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    1: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
    2: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
    3: dell-wwan: Wireless WAN
    I'm just weary of trying to install compat-wireless and iwlagn again incase it all goes wrong again.

Does anyone have any pointers? i've done no end of googling but it doesnt seem many have tried to use this card with BT or at least not many people are talking about it!

Sadly this is just part one of getting the wireless working as I'm not sure if this card supports injection or whether it can be added with a patch but i'd just like it to work first!

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card)

After much fiddling I managed to get this up and running using the compat-wireless tarball, wlan0 appeared and was usable however i'm now trying to get injection working - I applied some patches initially but parts of them failed and i ploughed on anyway but as it is airmon start wlan0 will bring up mon0 in monitor mode and I can get it scanning and passing the injection test but it doesn't seem to actually inject in real terms - I used the chopchop method and forged an arp packet but upon reinjection airmon shows the data not budging while flooding 500pps.

I'm having another go now but noticed my thread had been approved so thought i'd update while im looking for injection patches for the compat-wireless that work

Just burned his ISO

What a coincidence, I got the same machine yesterday and have spent the whole day yesterday trying to find a solution until I reached http://intellinuxwireless.org/ and yes ofcourse the note at the top did confuse me the same as you. I then stumbled upon your post and stopped short of trying to get that tarball.

Going by the note yes the driver should be present in the kernel we currently have and we would not need to do all the malarky of installing it. But I guess a recompile of the kernel might help here as it might try to pick up the hardware. I havent attempted to do so yet but it seems worth a try.

Also I after reading posts on iwlagn I managed to rmmod it, I guess I need to get it back now or maybe the kernel update/recompile might fix it.

Do keep us in the loop,

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Aha, thats some progress on your side. I seemed to have an old copy of this post in my browser and didnt see your second post.

However I installed the linux backport maveric generic and rfkill now seems to say that the wireless lan has a soft/hard block. Also on the keyboard trying to turn the wifi on/off
    using the Fn+F2 key seems to only toggle the bluetooth. Maybe it is conflicting with the wireless somehow coz its combo and blacklisting the bluetooth might work...

Any ideas anyone

Just burned his ISO

Upgraded to Natty and it connected to the wireless straightaway. I think the 2.6.38 kernel fixes this issue as it has the drivers all sorted. Plus Natty is really cool