Thread: Unistall Backtrack, reinstall Windows..

Just burned his ISO

Default Unistall Backtrack, reinstall Windows..

I'd first like to say that if this is considered a 'basic linux question', that I'm sorry for posting it here.I feel that I've spent sufficient time searching this forum (and the internet) for a solution to my perdicament. I have only just got my laptop operational again and would really appreciate some guidance for my second attempt.This is the situation;

After receiving my laptop back from having it's battery replaced and wireless card checked out I wanted to continue to experiment and increase my knowledge of Linux. I came across Backtrack and was not completely aware that it was mainly intended for advanced users and installed it anyway. Long story short, when attempting to create a partition I accidentally deleted my windows partition, as well as my Windows 7 recovery partition. (I know this is probable the silliest, beginner mistake I could make which is why I've yet to ask for help but I think it's about time I swallowed my pride and throw in the towel.

I have found some helpful tutorials and similar situations on the internet that seem as if they could possibly work, however whenever I attempt to access any application I get this message:

Will not save configuration.
    Configuration file "/root/.kde3/share/config/konsolerc" not writable.
    Configuration file "/root/.kde3/share/config/kdeglobals" not writable.
    Please contact your system administrator.
    It didn't always do this. The first time I tried to uninstall Backtrack by deleted the partition and then loading my Windows cd I got a 'grub 22 error'. I tried to fix this with the supergrubdisk but that didn't work so I reinstalled Backtrack from a usb flash drive.

fdisk -l gives me:

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xaccf70e5

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 3647 29294496 83 Linux

This video tutorial said that I would be able to install Windows on Linux using Wine.
    http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4983353_...ows-linux.html
    When I attempt to the 'apt-get install wine', I get:

W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    I was wondering if this would work. From what I've read it's best to have Windows installed before Linux. Although I'm not sure if this is always true.

My main goal would be to get Windows back onto my laptop, and then replace Backtrack with a more approachable version of Linux. I had most of my important files backed up before I lost them and there is nothing I need to save on here. I originally had Windows 7 installed on here however my recovery cd was damaged. I suppose if needed I could 'acquire' another if it was necessary, but I do have a Windows Xp and would like to see how my laptop performs when it's downgraded.

Again I'd just like to apologize if this post is not in the correct spot and I would truly appreciated any assistance. I know I should have read more on how to properly partition my Hd, and picked a more appropriate Os. I'm chalking this up to a learning experience and am not giving up on Linux.

-waldemar

Default Re: Unistall Backtrack, reinstall Windows..

I'll assume you just want a fresh start:
    - start Backtrack LiveCD
    - use gparted (gparted at command line) and delete all partitions
    - shutdown
    - put windows cd in and install windows using the wizard
    option #1:
    - download ubuntu 10.10 (or whatever flavor you want)
    - follow wizard
    option #2
    - download virtualbox
    - install linux flavor

option #2 would be better if you are just learning linux

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
    don't worry about me I am msfconsole retarded

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Ok I think you are really confused here. WINE is really and emulator of running windows apps on Linux. So I don't know why you are trying to install it when you are also claiming to have problems with your partitions.
    I would suggest you investigate how to get rid of a grub 22 error message. The problem is you deleted BT and grub the boot loader is still trying to look for and load it, since it can't it fails. If you have recovery disks that came with your laptop then use them to reset and restore everything. If you don't it will be much harder but you can likely fix it.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I am definitely quite confused here. I though WINE was some sort of emulator but I am unfamiliar with it. The reason I thought it may be able to help me was because of the video I linked to saying that I could install Windows with it. (I haven't actually tried to yet.)

I did manage to get rid of the grub 22 error by using a usb-livecd of bt. When I had this problem on a separate occasion I used one of the super grub disks to fix it but it work this time.

I made a live cd of bt (becaue I know longer have access to that flash drive version I made) but I seem to be having troubles booting it. I can't seem to actually boot the live cd. It burnt correctly, and I chose to boot from my cd drive first but it still loads the grub and then boots into Bt. Would I need to use a usb flash drive version, because that's how I installed it?

Also one last question. Once I manage to boot the Bt LiveCd, what are the commands I need using gparted?

Once again I appreciate all the help that is being provided to me. Thank you very much.