Thread: Wrong resolution

Just burned his ISO

Default Wrong resolution

Hi everybody

I installed Backtrack 4 R2 on my laptop yesterday and have since then been trying to make it use the right resolution (1366x768)

What i have tried:
    I have tried to use kde-guidance-kde3 package (found in synaptic package manager) to change the resolution, without any luck
    At first, a resolution of '1360x768' was shown in the monitor-hotkey, but when i tried to apply it, the screen just went black.
    I tried to configure the xorg.conf manually by adding the 1366x768 resolution under "Display" parameters (both 8, 16, 24 and 32 bit) but it just uses the old resolutions. I can't choose it myself neither. I tried to logout and in again and reboot.

I should mention that at first i only could use 800x600. I then tried to use another gfx driver and then it woldn't start x afterwards. I then tried 'fixvesa' and all of a sudden it could use 1024x768 just fine - but still not 1366x768.

My laptop is an Samsung R530 with an Nvidia GeForce 310m gfx.

If needed, more info on the laptop itself can be found here:
    http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consume...=specification

Can anyone help me out here? How can i make it run 1366x768?

Default Re: Wrong resolution

I had a similar issue with intel drivers and eventually found a way to force it to 1368x768 (by breaking my xorg.conf file) but I am not sure about how to do it with nvidia drivers

Maybe there is a solution in this thread that you could try. alot of attempts were made and maybe something similar will work for you.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...rack-4-r2.html

have you tried editing the xorg.conf file after you did fix-vesa?
    "Never do anything against conscience -- even if the state demands it."
    -- Albert Einstein

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Wrong resolution

Yea I have. At first (before fixvesa) xorg.conf only consisted of the whole guidance part in the top and then maybe 10-15 lines of parameters. After fixvesa the file was ALOT bigger, maybe 200-250 lines if not more.

That link you posted is actually very interesting. As the poster from that thread, I also run both Ubuntu and BT, and Ubuntu has no problem running 1366x768.
    I'll try the solutions they propose and get back with an answer. Thanks so far

Quote Originally Posted by Scamentology View Post
    I had a similar issue with intel drivers and eventually found a way to force it to 1368x768 (by breaking my xorg.conf file) but I am not sure about how to do it with nvidia drivers

Maybe there is a solution in this thread that you could try. alot of attempts were made and maybe something similar will work for you.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...rack-4-r2.html

have you tried editing the xorg.conf file after you did fix-vesa?

Just burned his ISO

Red face Re: Wrong resolution

Quote Originally Posted by lleroy View Post
    Hi everybody

I installed Backtrack 4 R2 on my laptop yesterday and have since then been trying to make it use the right resolution (1366x768)

What i have tried:
    I have tried to use kde-guidance-kde3 package (found in synaptic package manager) to change the resolution, without any luck
    At first, a resolution of '1360x768' was shown in the monitor-hotkey, but when i tried to apply it, the screen just went black.
    I tried to configure the xorg.conf manually by adding the 1366x768 resolution under "Display" parameters (both 8, 16, 24 and 32 bit) but it just uses the old resolutions. I can't choose it myself neither. I tried to logout and in again and reboot.

I should mention that at first i only could use 800x600. I then tried to use another gfx driver and then it woldn't start x afterwards. I then tried 'fixvesa' and all of a sudden it could use 1024x768 just fine - but still not 1366x768.

My laptop is an Samsung R530 with an Nvidia GeForce 310m gfx.

If needed, more info on the laptop itself can be found here:
    http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consume...=specification

Can anyone help me out here? How can i make it run 1366x768?
    On my Virtualise Backtrack 4.0 r2 (hosted by windows 7), I succeed in making the 1366x768.

I do some editing thing in the xorg.conf :
    Section Screen
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1366x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection
    EndSection

It works perfectly...
    But on my dual backtrack (I've a dual boot backtrack 4.0 r2 / win 7 64 bits), it doesn't work...