Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No WLANs listed, and I know they're there...

Default No WLANs listed, and I know they're there...

So now that I'm using a newer system, and is somewhat mine (it's REALLY my fiance's but when she's not using, I am).

It's a Gateway MX6440. Sadly, not at all listed in the HCL. There are some, but not this one. So I figured I'd take this opportunity to try BT2 on it and see how it goes.

The wireless card is a Broadcom 802.11g.

So I *KNOW* there are wireless networks around me, including mine. I also *KNOW* that at least 1 of them is working. I know this because I'm using it. In Window$, if I open up NetStumbler, it'll list off ~6 networks. Depending on where I am on the apartment.

So last night, I had kismet working, and it listed off a few networks. Not all of them, but some. Now this morning, nothing's listed. BT seems to detect the card no problem, in fact, the first command window that opens up when you start up kismet (in the GUI) lists the WLAN card as monitor. But for whatever reason, it doesn't pick up any networks.

I tried all the dummy things like making sure the wireless was turned on and rebooting. I even went for a walk with it, but nothing is being picked up.

IS there anyone who may be in a position to help me unerstand why this is? I mean, the networks are there, and kismet was working fine last night.

As far as I am aware (which is VERY acutely), nothing has been changed regarding the system. Nothing added nor removed.

So yeah... Any help/info would be GREATLY appreciated.

***EDIT***

So I did a bit more research onlie to better determine the exactly which wireless card is in my system, and it appears as though it is a BCM 4318 which is listed in the HCL, although I am still experiencing the above mentioned issues.

Developer

try reloading the drivers?

I figured that'd be accomplished by rebooting... No?

BTW, I haven't installed it yet, I'm running the live CD...

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Snyper View Post
    I figured that'd be accomplished by rebooting... No?

BTW, I haven't installed it yet, I'm running the live CD...
    As in removing and reinstalling them... Not sure how you would accomplish this on the live cd. Check shaman's sig for a USB install, it would be a lot better anyway.

Then no. I don't know how to do that.

Is it painful?

Then no. I don't know how to do that.

Is it painful?
    The install onto the USB is all GUI and is actually done through windows. Not sure how much easier it gets.

So... I just want to make sure I'm going to do the right thing here...

In order for me to fix this little issue, I need to install BT2 (whether it be on my HDD or USB or whatever), and then...

Reinstall the wireless driver?

I'm sorry if my questions seem to retarded. It's just that I don't understand how installing BT and then reinstalling the driver is going to help any.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

first of all it's a Single chip Broadcom BCM4318KFBG P11 model in this laptop(according to gateway website)

bcm4318 chipset is compatible(driver bcm43xx) with Backtrack but not for injection, so i think it will only work to normal cnx to internet but you won't be able to inject and to do proper work.......
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Well thanks. Useful info there.

And I went to Gateway's website, and I managed to find the BCM4318 part, but how did you find all those nitty-gritty details?

So, does kismet do any kind of injection? I don't think so. So although my card may not be able to inject, it should still be able to SEE WLANs. No? And if it can see, why doesn't kismet list any networks? And furthermore, how do I fix it?

Well thanks. Useful info there.

And I went to Gateway's website, and I managed to find the BCM4318 part, but how did you find all those nitty-gritty details?

So, does kismet do any kind of injection? I don't think so. So although my card may not be able to inject, it should still be able to SEE WLANs. No? And if it can see, why doesn't kismet list any networks? And furthermore, how do I fix it?
    You might need a certain version of drivers for your card to work in kismet. Best place is kismet forums/website for that. The nitty gritty on your card comes from google. Also, kismet doesn't inject... ever. Its your card that is doing the work. You may be able to install a different version of drivers that make it inject, or go the easy route and buy a new card. Xploitz made a post for a $25 card... I mean you have to be a cheap ass to not be able to buy that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast