Thread: My pcmcia wifi card and madwifi and drivers...

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy My pcmcia wifi card and madwifi and drivers...

Ok first of all i am very computer literate person on windows side but über newbie on linux universe. I am still learning stuff everyday but first of all i want to be able to use that aircrack tools.

I have a Dell inspiron 6000 notebook and Netgear WG511T pcmcia card. And armed with nicely working fresh backtrack2 installation. Now here's my problems ;

After searching and checking the MAC adresses i identified my pcmcia wg511t is known as Ath0 under iwconfig list, but when i try "iwlist ath0 scan" it says " Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down " . One of my main question is how can i see or check whether any driver for my wg511t installed or not. As long as i have bt2 there is madwifi drivers on the system but does my atheros card uses them ? How can i learn this information and if not how can i install (patch) with latest madwifi drivers. I tried the instructions on " aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=madwifi-ng " but i got error at " patch -Np1 -i ../madwifi-ng-r2277.patch " step although i wrote the full file path correctly.

i was planning to write more but my head is aching after a whole day linux experience. i ll be glad and happy id somebody shed some light on my newbie problems and help to keep discover linux world

Quote Originally Posted by jext3 View Post
    Ok first of all i am very computer literate person on windows side but über newbie on linux universe. I am still learning stuff everyday but first of all i want to be able to use that aircrack tools.

I have a Dell inspiron 6000 notebook and Netgear WG511T pcmcia card. And armed with nicely working fresh backtrack2 installation. Now here's my problems ;

After searching and checking the MAC adresses i identified my pcmcia wg511t is known as Ath0 under iwconfig list, but when i try "iwlist ath0 scan" it says " Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down " . One of my main question is how can i see or check whether any driver for my wg511t installed or not. As long as i have bt2 there is madwifi drivers on the system but does my atheros card uses them ? How can i learn this information and if not how can i install (patch) with latest madwifi drivers. I tried the instructions on " aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=madwifi-ng " but i got error at " patch -Np1 -i ../madwifi-ng-r2277.patch " step although i wrote the full file path correctly.

i was planning to write more but my head is aching after a whole day linux experience. i ll be glad and happy id somebody shed some light on my newbie problems and help to keep discover linux world
    With BT2 running, remove your card and then reinsert it. Type "dmesg" (for "diagnostic message") and check the last few lines...they will let you know if your card is recognized and what drivers were loaded.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

http://madwifi.org/wiki/ngFeatures

will help maybe....
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006