Thread: wifi driver via usb boot

Just burned his ISO

Default wifi driver via usb boot

Thanks for the help in advance. I've been looking around for a good few hours now and can't really find the answer to my question.

So to start with I can not partition the hard drive because the computers I'm using do not belong to me. Which is why I created a usb bootable version of BT4 final. When I try to enable networking it will tell me all connections fail. So I looked up why and found that the I don't have the driver for the wifi card that's built in the computer (Broadcom 4322AG) I found a link explaining how to get the driver for the card. But all of them assume that you have BT4 partitioned to your hard drive. I can't mess with the hard drive partitioning, so how can I load the driver using only the usb boot? I have it on a 2gb drive right now. Do i need to load the driver onto the flash drive? Agian thanks for the help.

~Jager

Default Re: wifi driver via usb boot

If you are using a live USB installation I think you can make the changes until you reboot, but you can also make a customized .iso of Backtrack where you made the necessary changes and then install it on USB.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Thanks for the help in advance. I've been looking around for a good few hours now and can't really find the answer to my question.

So to start with I can not partition the hard drive because the computers I'm using do not belong to me. Which is why I created a usb bootable version of BT4 final. When I try to enable networking it will tell me all connections fail. So I looked up why and found that the I don't have the driver for the wifi card that's built in the computer (Broadcom 4322AG) I found a link explaining how to get the driver for the card. But all of them assume that you have BT4 partitioned to your hard drive. I can't mess with the hard drive partitioning, so how can I load the driver using only the usb boot? I have it on a 2gb drive right now. Do i need to load the driver onto the flash drive? Agian thanks for the help.

~Jager
    Just follow the instructions for installing your drivers. Most likely you do it through the terminal or a .deb package. I have done this many a times with my live cd. Every time I boot to cd, I have to reinstall the driver. Now its suggested that you can make a custom image with your changes. Try doing that.

Just burned his ISO

Cool Re: wifi driver via usb boot

you can use a wired internet connection and get the drivers installed on the usb

Just burned his ISO

It shouldn't matter if its partitioned or not. Just install the driver. If installed and you reboot, it will either go away (live) or come back and stay (persistent). You may need to re master the iso or make it persistent if its not.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the two suggestions. I tried doing the customise.sh on my fedora box (I know I could just put bt4 on there but i'm trying to make my use more mobile). The problem I ran into was that the build enviornment was for the bt4-pre-final.iso (I haven't looked for the final.iso

So I looked at what ugothakd said about persistant changes, and that looks like the better way to go. I'll need to go get a bigger flash drive first though, i'm booting on a 2gb right now. I'm sure the changes aren't big enough to warrant getting a bigger flash drive but if i'm planning on using bt via usb i'm sure there will be other things that come up. and we're talking 13 bucks for an 8gb. here are the links i was looking at. one is about the customise.sh and the other is about partitioning the usb and then adding persistant changes to it. I'll post about how it goes as I adventure through this. thanks for the advice.

Edit:

Yes its late, the first link I looked at for the customise

http://www.offensive-security.com/ba...-the-easy-way/

persistant changes

http://www.infosecramblings.com/back...changesnessus/

~Jager
    Last edited by sickness; 03-14-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

Just burned his ISO

I want to preface this by saying I can't connect to the internet in any way, I don't have any of the drivers needed to connect so i'm having to jump back and forth between windows and bt4.

So i found the driver, downloaded it to the usb, followed the readme. the first time it gave me an error because i tried doing the 64-bit driver so i went back and did it with the 32-bit driver. then i got this,

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9/Module.symvers
    is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.
    LD /root/hybrid_wl/built-in.o
    CC [M] /root/hybrid_wl/src/shared/linux_osl.o
    CC [M] /root/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.o
    CC [M] /root/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.o
    LD [M] /root/hybrid_wl/wl.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: modpost: missing MODULE_LICENSE() in /root/hybrid_wl/wl.o=see include/linux/module.h for more information

I've tried finding some other sites about the issue some say its the kernel but i find that hard to believe that i need to update the kernel on bt4-final. any direction would be helpful. Thanks.

~Jager