Thread: Lost network connectivity. Can't figure out why.

Just burned his ISO

Default Lost network connectivity. Can't figure out why.

Ok, so I've been using BackTrack on VMware Player since it will let me use resolution greater than 800x600 in VirtualBox. Was working fine until a few days ago all of a sudden I have zero network connectivity. Network on the VM is set to NAT. I've started, stopped, and restarted using
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking
    multiple times with zero effect. eth0 starts up just fine and gets an IP, but I can't ping anything or get to any websites.

Can anyone help me?

Default Re: Lost network connectivity. Can't figure out why.

Are you familiar with how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks? Is the IP address you have been assigned correct for the network? Has a default gateway been assigned? what about DNS? Can you ping the gateway? Start from the basics and then move to the more complicated stuff until you have isolated the cause of the problem.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Are you familiar with how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks? Is the IP address you have been assigned correct for the network? Has a default gateway been assigned? what about DNS? Can you ping the gateway? Start from the basics and then move to the more complicated stuff until you have isolated the cause of the problem.
    Going to try to explain this coherently. My computer's IP is 192.168.1.106. Since I'm using NAT, VMware Player is assigning me 192.168.244.128, so it's not on the same LAN, but before I lost connectivity, I was able to ping and scan all the boxes on the 192.168.1.* LAN. Not sure how to check the gateway on BT.

I can't ping my router at 192.168.1.1. The part that's weird is that it was one day it was fine, the next no network. I didn't change anything (that I can remember) that would have affected the network.

Quote Originally Posted by Keymaster View Post
    Not sure how to check the gateway on BT.
    The route command is one way.

Have you tried switching to other networking mods in VmWare to see whats different? Have you performed packet captures on various different machines (BT, the VM Host, the gateway) when you do connection tests to see whats getting where?

You need more information about whats happening...
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.