Thread: Automaically configure wireless network card automatically on boot

Default Automaically configure wireless network card automatically on boot

Hello All,

I am trying to let my wlan interface (intel 2200BG) associate and authenticate automatically at bootup. I filled in all the necessary parameters in the /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf file, but it looks like this is just ignored during bootup. Here is the entry in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf :

Config information for eth1:
    IPADDR[1]=""
    NETMASK[1]=""
    USE_DHCP[1]="yes"
    DHCP_HOSTNAME[1]=""
    WLAN_ESSID[1]=MYAP
    WLAN_MODE[1]=Managed
    WLAN_CHANNEL[1]="auto"
    WLAN_KEY[1]=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXMYKEY

Does anybody know how to make this work?

45 views and no one knows how to accomplish this? Come on people, this can't be rocket science for you linux guru's.

Thanks in advance.

Just burned his ISO

Default I'm no linux guru...just another n00b

I think you want to make your modifications in that file to point at ath0 not eth0. eth0 is usually the name associated with your etnernet port not your wireless card. I have an atheros based chip set on an HP nc6000 laptop and it always makes my wireless card ath0. If you can't get the auto config to work, you could just write a shell script with all your commands in that and execute that after you boot up. I kinda like that the system comes online completely locked down

Check in inet1 in nano as well I think its setup to DHCP eth0 only.

Code:
    nano /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

Quote Originally Posted by adrenelized View Post
    I think you want to make your modifications in that file to point at ath0 not eth0. eth0 is usually the name associated with your etnernet port not your wireless card. I have an atheros based chip set on an HP nc6000 laptop and it always makes my wireless card ath0. If you can't get the auto config to work, you could just write a shell script with all your commands in that and execute that after you boot up. I kinda like that the system comes online completely locked down
    It is eth1...not eth0...eth1 is my intel 2200 BG wlan card...so this is correct.

the /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 file works with a variable. On boot it dhcp's all NIC's . Corrct me if i am wrong.

But thanks for thinking with me.