Thread: lilo hdd installtion problem

Just burned his ISO

Default lilo hdd installtion problem

Ok i must missing something here, i've read all the guides. I'm booting from cd

i have 1 hdd partitioned with winxp on and the other partition is formatted to linux ext2 using partition magic

I cannot install to /dev/hda4 which is my linux partition it will only install on /mnt/hda4 and the mbr is the default /dev/hda

If i install using the /mnt/hda4 i cannot run liloconfig, nothing happens when i type it in and when i reboot the computer it just reboots into windows xp.

If i type in /dev/hda4 it starts to install quickly then say close window after about 3seconds.

I've tried various installs mainly changing the locatoin of the mbr but it always just boots back into windows.

Any help grealy appreciated

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

well maybe you can use that not so cool but working solution
    dl grub4dos
    extract grldr and menu.lst to c:\
    edit c:\boot.ini
    add this line : c:\grldr="backtrack" at the end of boot ini
    edit c:\menu.lst >>> edit it according to your install details( add a "bt start" menu entry)
    reboot

when windows boot's up hit F8 for boot menu
    choose "backtrack" normally grub will appear with proposing "bt start", hit you've done it...
    THAT WORKS.....BUT I HATE THIS SOLUTION YOU NEED TO USE MICROSOFT PIECE OF CODE TO BOOT BT, IT'S A SHAME I THINK, BUT IT WORKS
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for your help but i'm a bit stuck as to what to put in where you say;

edit c:\menu.lst >>> edit it according to your install details( add a "bt start" menu entry)
    reboot

I've tried a few entries but can't get it to boot, just need the correct path/layout for this etc but being a damn noob i need some help!

Thanks

Developer

the offesive security site has a dual boot video by mutts

http://www.offensive-security.com/mo.../dualboot.html

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

# For booting BT
    edit menu.lst file just put this

timeout 0

title BackTrack
    root (hd0,3) >>>means /dev/sda4
    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda4
    initrd /initrd.gz

close save reboot
    normally after you choose the first bt entry on windows boot menu, it will autoboot(timeout 0) the first and only entry "Backtrack" containing in your menu.lst

if don't works your install is surely corrupted a good thing is to format(really) and wipe data(really) with something like qtparted or gparted each time you do a "non fonctional installation"
    and beetween installs on a same partition , this avoid to BT installer to find datas on the part and to corrupt install processus.....

hope helps
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

I keep getting

error 17 cannot mount selected partition or

by playing around i can get error 19: file not found when it try's booting the kernel line

This is turning into a right pain, but thanks for all your help so far, its much appreciated