Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Becoming 1337. How would one browse the internet/view websites via konsole?

Default Re: Becoming 1337. How would one browse the internet/view websites via konsole?

Quote Originally Posted by JimRome View Post
    Strictly speaking about browsing, you may actually learn a lot more by using Firefox and engaging with the numerous browser plug-ins such as Live HTTP headers, Tamper Data, View Cookie, Firebug, etc. These tools help you interact with the web page beyond the controls presented in the HTML.

There are collections of such add-ons available by seraching on the Mozilla Add-Ons site. For example https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ons/jdruin/pr/ to help you get started.

I assume you want the text based browser to help you see what the web page is actually sending versus the pretty picture drawn on the screen. Proxying requests through a client-proxy like Burp Suite can show the communication that took place and what the web page actually does as opposed to what you see in the browser. By proxying the traffic, you get the same benefit of text based browsers (being able to see what is actually occuring) without hampering your ability to browse.

You might want to Dl337 the l337 stuff. Peeps will not help as much if they cannot read your posts without being irritated.
    this is a great reply to such a question, especially with how this thread was headed from the start. (south)
    the OP may actually read this and learn something valuable,because you absolutely nailed processes for monitoring i/o to an http. and then maybe he can learn something else from all the other posts about his lack of "well-versed in linguistics".bs i'm more optimistic he may learn alot from your post, but yet will continue to irritate ppl anyway in future posts.

i'm more suprised lupin took the time to write such a very detailed reply to this. rather than simply locking the thread.
    Last edited by clone; 03-12-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Default Re: Becoming 1337. How would one browse the internet/view websites via konsole?

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    i'm more surprised lupin took the time to write such a very detailed reply to this. rather than simply locking the thread.
    Yeah i am too. This thread has gotten out of control. Just one big argument about leetspeak. :P
    wh1t3 fang

i'm more suprised lupin took the time to write such a very detailed reply to this. rather than simply locking the thread.
    That's the difference between a good moderator, and a moron with a ban hammer.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I can defend any position I take here, and I find that actually taking the time to do so can bring most reasonable people around to my way of thinking. I think it helps make the moderating of this forum feel less arbitrary to forum users, thereby making us moderators look less like "morons with ban hammers"
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO CyberTrekker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Fastest way is to stop using leetspeak......
    Although i can understand the perspective of those who would prefer so-called leet speak not be used, I however find it ironic that such a disdain for it in this instance is precipitated through a minimal use of it in this forum thread.

In the final analysis, learn to overlook it and accept people for what they are and their individual form of expression. We are all individuals and none of us express ourselves exactly the same. In this way, at least we can learn more than we could by just jumping on others for their individual style of expression. Conformity for the sake of conformity is totally irrational and not condusive to real learning as to real living.

In the final analysis, learn to overlook it and accept people for what they are and their individual form of expression. We are all individuals and none of us express ourselves exactly the same. In this way, at least we can learn more than we could by just jumping on others for their individual style of expression. Conformity for the sake of conformity is totally irrational and not condusive to real learning as to real living.
    This is just like sitting on the bench and arguing a football game.
    This is not a 1337 forum and neither are most of the community, also it is easy to say that we have to overlook it and accept it but some of us have to actually read them before approving them, and I'm really not in the mood of trying to decipher what X wanted to say with his "uB3r 31337 l@ngu@g3."

You are right, we are all individuals and none of us express ourselves the same way, and we are not asking this. The only thing we ask is that individuals must express in a known language (in this case English), with understandable words/sentences.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

http://vimperator.org/

Also l337 and the other derivatives thereof are for douche bags. It won't help anything, and will possibly detract others from helping the poster. Also consider it may not make much sense to our users who do not speak English as a first language.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    This is just like sitting on the bench and arguing a football game.
    This is not a 1337 forum and neither are most of the community, also it is easy to say that we have to overlook it and accept it but some of us have to actually read them before approving them, and I'm really not in the mood of trying to decipher what X wanted to say with his "uB3r 31337 l@ngu@g3."

You are right, we are all individuals and none of us express ourselves the same way, and we are not asking this. The only thing we ask is that individuals must express in a known language (in this case English), with understandable words/sentences.
    And of course, there is a reason to not use this crap instead of regular English and to not support those who wants to express themselves in this way:
    Lot of people, that are coming to this (or any other forum in that matter) dont have English as their first language (you can see many posts starting with the "sorry for my bad English"), and for them, this crippling of language is horror!

According to yours "We are all individuals and none of us express ourselves exactly the same." i can add: "OK, so **** it! Lets speak Klingon!" -> there are, and obviously there must be some boundaries and rules. And one of the basic rule should be "try to speak language people can read and understand".

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    I can defend any position I take here, and I find that actually taking the time to do so can bring most reasonable people around to my way of thinking. I think it helps make the moderating of this forum feel less arbitrary to forum users, thereby making us moderators look less like "morons with ban hammers"
    i totally understand that,sir. however, at a certain point (read:*low*); you are mostly wasting your time and speaking upon deaf ears. this subject/OP, to me; is probably one of those cases.

you guys do an amazing job moderating this forum. i meant nothing at all to suggest otherwise.

Just burned his ISO

Post Re: Becoming 1337. How would one browse the internet/view websites via konsole?

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Your use of leetspeak in the first post here was at least possible to interpret as ironic, but your second post came off as defending leetspeak in general.
    I've been defending leetspeak from my second post until this one (excluding my last post which was giving props to the guy that answered my question), but I did state that I was playing the devils advocate. I like to argue a bunch; my point of view is that our ideas and morals are determined by our ability to argue them. To me this whole argument is more of a thought/logic exercise then anything else, so if this is annoying, please understand that I'm doing this from the perspective of the devils' advocate. I don't really use leetspeak outside of the context of humor.

Im quite aware that leetspeak was/is popular with idiots, but I care not for their fashion tendencies. My point was that leetspeak was never popular with anyone with any sense here, so none of us would consider it passé - its always just been lame.
    To what extent is leetspeak lame? Is leetspeak exclusively lame, or are you saying that leetspeak, because it is popular among "idiots", is why it is lame? If the latter case is what you meant, then what is your position on slang, in general? From an external point of view, those who use slang to express themselves appear to be uneducated or "idiots". From people that use slang regularly, however, it may be viewed as a more accurate way of expressing information- or even a way of expressing social acceptance.
    For instance: when I used the word "1337" in the title of this thread, I meant to express that I am in the process of learning- and to me personally- using leetspeak in small increments expresses the nerdiness of what it is that I'm expressing. Case and point: How many people on this forum use text-based browsers exclusively or frequently?
    Compare that to how many professionals use text-based browsers exclusively.
    And lastly, compare both of the above to how many average internet users use text-based browsing- or even know that it exists.
    P1: Upon interpreting that data it will be a logical conclusion that those who would have the desire to use text-based browsers exclusively are in fact nerds (which is not necessarily a bad thing, in this context).
    P2: Nerds use leetspeak to express sarcasm.
    Therefore: Because I have the desire to use text-based browsers exclusively I am a nerd. Because I am a nerd, it would be a logical assumption that when I used leetspeak in this context, I was expressing sarcasm.

This forum is a breeding ground for current or future nerds, so understanding the syntax of nerd humor and sarcasm is yet another way of learning how to effectively and positively communicate with others in this subculture.

Another argument is that leetspeak may actually be a legitimate way of communication because it can be used as a way of teaching or understanding a way of code ciphering, becoming familiar with the use of a mixture of alphanumeric and symbol based systems, or creating a series of mnemonic ways of interpreting data.
    Now thats a stretch.
    So it is a stretch to say that:
    7H¡5 ∂035 N0† @$$¡5† !N ß∑¢0M¡NG ƒ@M!1!4® W¡7H ©0MP13X 53QU3N©5 0ƒ NUM83®5, 137†3R5 & ©h@R@¢73r5 @5 w311 4$ @55¡7 ¡N ®3m3M83®!nG ©h@R@¢73r 10©47!0n5 @n∂ P055!81µ 455!5†!nG !n ∂3©0∂¡NG ©¡PH3®5 M04R QU!©1µ?
    That was for the sole purpose of demonstrating my point. I'm never doing that again. :P

Sure. But some of us like to protest against the dumbing down of our language, whenever it occurs, to avoid such use becoming common. That way we can avoid our language morphing in this way.
    The evolution of a language does not lead to the dumbing down of language, but rather growth of new languages and dialects. Without the "dumbing down" of language, we would not be writing in English (we would rather be writing in German).

Imagine if everyone in hacking forums wrote in leetspeak. Would that or would that not make it harder for the laymen to understand what is being talked about...essentially making learning hacking more elitist? We understand leetspeak because we have encountered people before and are now familiar with it. We associate leetspeak with idiots because we've only seen idiots using it. If We had only encountered people that are actually elite using leetspeak, would we or would we not have a different perspective of the language? Why is it called leetspeak? 1337 is a shortening of 31337, which literally translates to eleet or elite in English. Where did leetspeak originate? Did it come from computer nerds, or laymen?

Our estimation of your credibility, even from a single post, will effect the quality of the response you get, and sometimes even the content of those responses. This is not unique to this forum.
    Case in point - you use leetspeak, and the thread then becomes a discussion on the appropriateness of leetspeak. If you want good responses, you better make sure you dont exhibit or defend behaviour that we dont condone, because we will have to call you on it to act as an example for others so that they dont act that way. You might need to rethink the efficacy of this part of your personal standpoint/view/philosophy.
    My personal philosophy has nothing to do with this argument because, as I stated earlier, I am arguing this purely for the sport of arguing; I recognize that I've made a mistake in this thread by using leetspeak in the title, and defending it after I was taken seriously. I also recognize that this forum is not a place for anything but information on this distribution of Linux and I therefore apologize for being informal and then navigating off topic. I will do my best to not let these things happen again, and, again, I apologize for the inconvenience and annoyance. I am sorry that because this thread has gotten off topic it will be harder for people searching this forum for answers about text-only browsing will find it more difficult to find the answer that they were looking for- especially for people who do not speak English as their first language.

I wrapped this in code to make it smaller, with the intent that it will make it easier for those looking for the answer to find it easier above.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 03-14-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast