Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming 1337. How would one browse the internet/view websites via konsole?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Cool Becoming 1337. How would one browse the internet/view websites via konsole?

I'm trying to learn linux in general completely via konsole/not gui...mainly because I'm somewhat well-versed in the subject of linguistics and I understand that the best way to learn a language is by throwing yourself head on into it...and...struggling.
    I figured that since the main thing that I use backtrack for so far is to learn stuff about internet security and operating systems in general/UNIX environments, that it'd be useful to do everything internet related is via konsole. I'm all about throwing myself into harms way as far as learning stuff goes, and using a mouse is SOOO non-1337.

So- How do I run, view, and navigate the interwebs solely from konsole...aka sin gui. Simple explanation or link to a tutorial will suffice .

Cheers and GODSPEED my fellow nerds ,
    NoUhOh

Default Re: Becoming 1337. How would one browse the internet/view websites via konsole?

There are console based browsers like Lynx but they are close to useless for modern browsing as you have described. I have only used Lynx under very specific circumstances - once to download text representations of a list of webpages so I could do word searches through them, and once to download new NVidia drivers after a kernel update killed my X Server. Just use Firefox for your browsing - theres no shame in it and you can still use the console for a lot of other tasks.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Default Re: Becoming 1337. How would one browse the internet/view websites via konsole?

Fastest way is to stop using leetspeak......
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Cool Re: Becoming 1337. How would one browse the internet/view websites via konsole?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Whatever dude :P. Saying 1337 doesn't sound out of place to me when I'm on a forum full of computer dudes...I mean, if this were the fashion community, what you're saying would basically translated thusly:

"Leetspeak is so passé."

So in response to your statement, don't be afraid to be unfashionable.

Quote Originally Posted by nouhoh View Post
    Whatever dude :P. Saying 1337 doesn't sound out of place to me when I'm on a forum full of computer dudes...I mean, if this were the fashion community, what you're saying would basically translated thusly:

"Leetspeak is so passé."

So in response to your statement, don't be afraid to be unfashionable.
    No, its not passé, because that would suggest that at one time it actually was popular, and is now out of fashion. Not true.

In actual fact leetspeak has never been used in anything other than an ironic sense by serious professionals in this field, and using it amongst us is like applying the "kiss of death" to your credibility. Seriously, take Barrys advice, because it's in your best interests to do so. Being unfashionable is fine, but acting like a skiddie is not.
    Last edited by lupin; 03-09-2011 at 11:49 AM.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    No, its not passé, because that would suggest that at one time it actually was popular, and is now out of fashion. Not true.

In actual fact leetspeak has never been used in anything other than an ironic sense by serious professionals in this field, and using it amongst us is like applying the "kiss of death" to your credibility. Seriously, take Barrys advice, because it's in your best interests to do so. Being unfashionable is fine, but acting like a skiddie is not.
    This is getting way off topic, but I feel the need to communicate that I completely understand that leetspeak is, and has been used with the intent of displaying irony and sarcasm. Which was (and is) my original intent. If I was serious about using leetspeak my whole post would've been using it. That's kind of a problem I've run into when communicating via text, is that I sometimes come off as either an idiot, a dick or a troll...or a combination of all the above.
    My argument was (and still is) based in the perspective of playing the devils advocate...which I probably should have stated.
    So, I would argue that leetspeak was popular at one point, even though it was popular among the "lower class" of the internet community. In kind of the same way that modern Ebonics or slang of the lower class is used. Another argument is that leetspeak may actually be a legitimate way of communication because it can be used as a way of teaching or understanding a way of code ciphering, becoming familiar with the use of a mixture of alphanumeric and symbol based systems, or creating a series of mnemonic ways of interpreting data. From a linguistic perspective languages evolve from the popular use of individuals and is stagnated by those who conservatively use grammar. Brazilian Portuguese is now a legitimate dialect because of the evolution of slang and dialects that came from the mixture of the native languages of what is now Brazil. From a Philosophical standpoint the reason why leetspeak is understood is because it's popularity- i.e. if leetspeak had not been a popular form of communication, people would not understand what 1337 means.

Lastly, from a personal standpoint/view/philosophy...I don't post on internet forums with the intent of generating credibility...if I wanted to gain credibility, my username would be my real name rather than an alias. I'm active in internet forums with my main intent being to absorb information and positively contribute to the online community. At least on sites like this.
    No bad vibes or anything like that intended.

This is getting way off topic, but I feel the need to communicate that I completely understand that leetspeak is, and has been used with the intent of displaying irony and sarcasm. Which was (and is) my original intent. If I was serious about using leetspeak my whole post would've been using it. That's kind of a problem I've run into when communicating via text, is that I sometimes come off as either an idiot, a dick or a troll...or a combination of all the above.
    My argument was (and still is) based in the perspective of playing the devils advocate...which I probably should have stated.
    Your use of leetspeak in the first post here was at least possible to interpret as ironic, but your second post came off as defending leetspeak in general.

So, I would argue that leetspeak was popular at one point, even though it was popular among the "lower class" of the internet community.
    Im quite aware that leetspeak was/is popular with idiots, but I care not for their fashion tendancies. My point was that leetspeak was never popular with anyone with any sense here, so none of us would consider it passé - its always just been lame.

Another argument is that leetspeak may actually be a legitimate way of communication because it can be used as a way of teaching or understanding a way of code ciphering, becoming familiar with the use of a mixture of alphanumeric and symbol based systems, or creating a series of mnemonic ways of interpreting data.
    Now thats a stretch.

From a linguistic perspective languages evolve from the popular use of individuals and is stagnated by those who conservatively use grammar. Brazilian Portuguese is now a legitimate dialect because of the evolution of slang and dialects that came from the mixture of the native languages of what is now Brazil. From a Philosophical standpoint the reason why leetspeak is understood is because it's popularity- i.e. if leetspeak had not been a popular form of communication, people would not understand what 1337 means.
    Sure. But some of us like to protest against the dumbing down of our language, when ever it occurs, to avoid such use becoming common. That way we can avoid our language morphing in this way.

Lastly, from a personal standpoint/view/philosophy...I don't post on internet forums with the intent of generating credibility...if I wanted to gain credibility, my username would be my real name rather than an alias. I'm active in internet forums with my main intent being to absorb information and positively contribute to the online community. At least on sites like this.
    No bad vibes or anything like that intended.
    Our estimation of your credibility, even from a single post, will effect the quality of the response you get, and sometimes even the content of those responses. This is not unique to this forum. Case in point - you use leetspeak, and the thread then becomes a discussion on the appropriateness of leetspeak. If you want good responses, you better make sure you dont exhibit or defend behaviour that we dont condone, because we will have to call you on it to act as an example for others so that they dont act that way. You might need to rethink the efficacy of this part of your personal standpoint/view/philosophy.

yeah lol i don't think i have ever seen any of the professionals sit there and talk in leet. It is a bit unprofessional. Honestly, ive never really seen anyone chat using leet speak, it would get very annoying to have to read that crap :P .
    wh1t3 fang

Just burned his ISO CyberTrekker's Avatar

Although i can understand the perspective of those who would prefer so-called leet speak not be used, I however find it ironic that such a disdain for it in this instance is precipitated through a minimal use of it in this forum thread.

In the final analysis, learn to overlook it and accept people for what they are and their individual form of expression. We are all individuals and none of us express ourselves exactly the same. In this way, at least we can learn more than we could by just jumping on others for their individual style of expression. Conformity for the sake of conformity is totally irrational and not condusive to real learning as to real living.

In the final analysis, learn to overlook it and accept people for what they are and their individual form of expression. We are all individuals and none of us express ourselves exactly the same. In this way, at least we can learn more than we could by just jumping on others for their individual style of expression. Conformity for the sake of conformity is totally irrational and not condusive to real learning as to real living.
    This is just like sitting on the bench and arguing a football game.
    This is not a 1337 forum and neither are most of the community, also it is easy to say that we have to overlook it and accept it but some of us have to actually read them before approving them, and I'm really not in the mood of trying to decipher what X wanted to say with his "uB3r 31337 l@ngu@g3."

You are right, we are all individuals and none of us express ourselves the same way, and we are not asking this. The only thing we ask is that individuals must express in a known language (in this case English), with understandable words/sentences.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast