Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boost tx power alfa awus036h to 35/40

Default boost tx power alfa awus036h to 35/40

Hi,

I am following this thread by joker5bb, which seems a good one:

http://hacking-library.com/forum/vie...284&p=550#p550

But after installing/editing db.txt file, create a new regularety.bin and copying the crypto file I can't get past 20 dBm power, what so ever.
    If I do a regdbdump of the new regularety.bin everything shows as I edit.
    But when I do a sudo iw reg get, I get the following values, even after a restart:
    country 00 shows only (6, 20) for all options.
    Then I do a regdbdump of the regularety.bin again and I see the values I want, how I edited them.
    When I place the backup off the original regularety.bin back I still am not able to get past 20 dbi tx power anymore! Even when selecting a country with value( 5, 30)
    Also note: When selecting a country through sudo iw reg set, only thing I get when doing immediately a sudo iw reg get is country 00, nothing changes?
    Can someone explain why this happens and what I should do to get this working?
    Thanks,

tfdm
    Last edited by TheFlyingDutchMan; 03-08-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Default Re: boost tx power alfa awus036h to 35/40

I have a dealextreme alfa knockoff, and had the same issue you do. I may forget some details here, but basically I downloaded a newer version of iw and got it to work. I didn't want to replace the version backtrack has since I was unsure if that would break anything, so I just grabbed iw (iw-0.9.9 in my case) out of the downloaded directory and used it just for this.

A simple script set to run at startup worked for me:

Code:
    /[insert path to new iw]/iw reg set BO
    sleep 5
    rmmod rtl8187
    modprobe rtl8187
    Check dmesg to verify things went smoothly. It may be against the law to do this depending on where you are, etc.

Yes, I am able to boost up to 30 dBm with country Bolivia, but my idea was to boost up to 35/40 dBm, which I have a screenshot from, not mine.
    I have an alfa awus036h and some chinese clone also.
    The thing is after the necessary steps in the tut, I tried more other tuts too, I am not even able to boost to 30 dBm any more. I will be after a fresh install, but... I can only set dBm to 20 after the tuts, not higher. So, actually my question is, what am I doing wrong, or am I overseeing?

Thanks so far.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I don't think I can help, other than still suggesting you try a newer version of iw. You could try it quickly before reinstalling. I was having a somewhat similar issue to yours, not being able to get more than 20 dBm no matter what with the backtrack iw version. It would either get stuck on country US or 00 and dmesg wouldn't even show it trying to change the regulatory domain anymore.

Did you fix it with a newer iw version?

Good friend of the forums comaX's Avatar

I think I remember something else : check your pubkeys folder, and you should have the key root*.pem and another one (linville/louis/something similar.pem). Try to delete it, in case it would prevent yours from functioning. Since regdbdump shows a modified regulatory.bin and that it's generated with your key, having another one around could mess with it.

Just guessing though. When I boot on backtrack I'll check if I still have the other one along with mine, and will edit this post accordingly.
    Running both KDE and GNOME BT5 flawlessly. Thank you !

I noticed before doing the install there is already a file called linville etc. in the /usr/lib/crda/pubkeys directory, but there is also a new one created in the wireless-regdb-2010.11.24 folder, maybe first replace, before the make/make install command? So, which one should be deleted you think, from wireless-regdb folder or from /usr/lib/crda/pubkeys folder?
    Last edited by TheFlyingDutchMan; 03-08-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Good friend of the forums comaX's Avatar

I think you should delete linville from /crda/pubkeys but FOR SURE : the one created in wireless-regdb is either a private key, used to generate the reg, or the public key, that you should put in /crda/pubkeys.
    Running both KDE and GNOME BT5 flawlessly. Thank you !

You mean : deleting the linville key from /usr/lib/crda/pubkeys before the make command. So, the linville key is needed? So should it be replaced by the linville key from the wireless-regdb folder before the make command or should I leave the linville key out of the /usr/lib/crda/pubkeys folder and make and install? And it maybe get replaced during the make?
    Edit: going to install backtrack again and let you know.

The best.

So, I m done. I followed the tut by detail and tried all possible solution from this thread. Didn't work and unable to reboot with the "normal" tx power. So, I did a search for all the files located on my machine, deleted all, did a reboot. Now again a search and accoording to bt all the files were still present. But when I went through the terminal to the locations it said : not found? Made new folders, put the backups back: no luck. Installed again, whithout formatting and still not able to get past the 20 dBm, while a regdbdump shows 40 dBm everywhere. So, it seems like the make command doesn't change the right places were iw reads from, tried a few different version of iw to be sure! Maybe some Linux expert or a moderator will take look to this thread and maybe they can explain a bit.
    If so, great!
    GE
    tfdm
    Last edited by TheFlyingDutchMan; 03-08-2011 at 09:47 PM.

i had almost the same problem with the awus036NH the edited reg.bin file was properly set to country XX and 35/40 dBm but iw read from country 00 with lower tx power and the adapter became slow in connecting and transmitting.
    was unable to contact joker5bb for any solutions, so i think the best thing for now is too wait for better drivers with more flex to configure
    regards
    bakru

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast