Thread: 64-bit

Just burned his ISO

Question 64-bit

I noticed you guys have not released nor support a 64-bit kernel. Does anyone have instructions on how to build a 64-bit kernel for backtrack? My alienware has 8gb of memory and i would like to utilize the other 5 gigs. Even though i may not have any speed improvement because the applications are not written for 64 bit, the memory limitation is potentially killing me. Thanks.

Default Re: 64-bit

Disclaimer: I have not done this in Backtrack 4 so maybe someone else can respond whether this is going to cause other problems.

What your looking for is PAE (Physical Address Extension) by enabling this it will allow a 32bit operating system to handle up to 64 gb of ram.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE

This should help guide you in the right direction

Just burned his ISO

OP please let us know how it went for you, I am quite interested in it aswell but well exams are a pain! and i can't get time to do anything else :S

Looking forward to your response

regards
    bundleboy

Quote Originally Posted by uzil11 View Post
    ...the memory limitation is potentially killing me....
    Either it is or isn't, there isn't really grey area there.

I'm curious what you're doing with BT that requires 8GB of RAM???
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Ive found it pretty common to see that people forget to realize most attacks are done via your network connection. There for it is not beneficial to have 8gb or more RAM.

However, would it not be reasonable to have the additional amount of RAM for hash cracks or something similar that is done locally on the workstation?

Just curious about the later.

Regards,
    -Chrisso

I initially wanted to utilize more ram also, strictly for the purpose of opening large text files when editing wordlists. Its not really necessary though, being as I just use commands like "cat, sort, and uniq"