Thread: BUY MACBOOK or MACBOOK PRO

Just burned his ISO

Default BUY MACBOOK or MACBOOK PRO

Hi guys,

I need a good opinion to buy laptop on apple, I am going to used apple to install backtrack linux on vmware/parallel as part of research for penetration testing.

So please tell me your experience/opinion about your "macbook" or "macbook pro" to use backtrack linux.

Which one I have to choose between macbook and macbook pro??

I have to pick one ..macbook or macbook pro...this weekend, cause I am going to buy it for my research paper.

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

I think this really depends on what else you're going to be using the computer for. If you're going to be doing a lot of serious video/photo editing then you might consider getting a Macbook Pro for its enhanced graphics capabilities. Also, if you think a 13.3 inch screen might be too much of a strain on your eyes, you might benefit from the bigger 15" screen on the Macbook Pro. The ATI graphics chip also helps gaming performance if you're interested in that as well. There are a few other benefits that I think you'll find if you just Google.

However, if you're not doing all that much video/photo editing and just need the computer to do things like store photos, write papers, accomplish "normal" day-to-day activities, then you might be better served by the Macbook. I think a top of the line Macbook will more than suit anyone's needs for BackTrack 2. I'm using an almost 3 year old Sony VAIO S270P (1.7ghz Centrino, 1024MB RAM, 80GB HD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700) and BackTrack 2 runs without a hiccup on it. I'm also part of a research team at Carnegie Mellon University that is doing some penetration testing research in the local neighborhood and I haven't had any performance problems at all.

My suggestion is that you read some reviews on the Macbook / Macbook Pro and see which one better suits your needs. I myself am anxiously awaiting for the next generation of Macbooks to be released. Good luck buying your computer!

Also, if you plan on running BackTrack on it, beware that the MacBook suffers from a duplicate keystroke problem, whereas the MacBook Pro seems spared from this.

Cheers,

Mother
    In God we trust, all others we monitor

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

macbookpro seems better no keyboard support on macbook

extract from BT wiki

"
    MacBook Pro Core Duo

• Mostly everything works very well
    • Boots up reasonably fast
    • Highest screen resolution is 1024x768 @ 85Hz, unless you install the ATI drivers and reboot the X Server.
    • No sound output through built-in speakers. However it can be heard via headphones or external speakers.
    • Not all MacBook Pro Core Duo's will let you switch between virtual desktops (i.e. alt-f1/alt-f2/ctrl-alt-f1)
    [edit] MacBook Core 2 Duo

Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Mother View Post
    Also, if you plan on running BackTrack on it, beware that the MacBook suffers from a duplicate keystroke problem, whereas the MacBook Pro seems spared from this.

Cheers,

Mother
    Nah, the MacBook is okay, just be careful:

The built in card isnt patched for injection but it scans with a MUCH broader range than my USB ralink based card. I have a screen shot showing them both running airodump and the Airport card shows many more AP's than the WUSB54GC i use for injection.

i have a macbook and Back|Track ver2 beta worked perfectly on it. Just put in the cd and hold the alt key at boot, and choose the disc labeled "windows"

Back|Track2 final did not work on my MacBook sadly, it was effected by the duplicate keystroke problem. I have the latest rev of the MacBook c2duo "white"

The soundcard works great, unlike in Ubuntu,

The screen resolution is easily fixable with 915resolution

The USb works, the Battery Monitor works.. it's fine, just steer clear from BT2 "final" - trev

EDIT oops, the drivers for it are here: zombie.el.cx/bbs/index.php?topic=83.0
    (depending on your revision, this is for the newest one)
    The touchpad works great if you just lower the sensativity. -

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

macbook is ok only for bt2beta... not for final

duplicate keystroke pb

[edit] MacBook Core 2 Duo
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by trevelyn View Post
    Nah, the MacBook is okay, just be careful:

The built in card isnt patched for injection but it scans with a MUCH broader range than my USB ralink based card. I have a screen shot showing them both running airodump and the Airport card shows many more AP's than the WUSB54GC i use for injection.

i have a macbook and Back|Track ver2 beta worked perfectly on it. Just put in the cd and hold the alt key at boot, and choose the disc labeled "windows"

Back|Track2 final did not work on my MacBook sadly, it was effected by the duplicate keystroke problem. I have the latest rev of the MacBook c2duo "white"

The soundcard works great, unlike in Ubuntu,

The screen resolution is easily fixable with 915resolution

The USb works, the Battery Monitor works.. it's fine, just steer clear from BT2 "final" - trev

EDIT oops, the drivers for it are here: zombie.el.cx/bbs/index.php?topic=83.0
    (depending on your revision, this is for the newest one)
    The touchpad works great if you just lower the sensativity. -

What is your macbook specs? and BTW how long for the battery last?? I heard that macbook battery can last for around 5 hours...(it's good to do penetration testing if battery last longer), and I heard the battery for Macbook Pro only last around 2 or 2.5 hours...is it true guys?

Thanks again, keep filling up your experience about macbook pls... and I am hoping that, I can pick the right macbook..the one I am looking for (apple laptop) ...{for penetration testing (backtrack linux) + install vmware/parallel to install different kind of virtual server (4 or 5 Operating system server) to do research}

Would you mind showing me your screenshots? Thanks

Just burned his ISO

I have tried the BackTrack v2.0 Final CD on numerous Macintosh computers, both desktop and portable.

The MacBook's (Core 2 Duo), both black and white suffer from the double keystroke problem. Although with an external keyboard attached, there is no problem. Also, the performace on these machines is horrible (from my experience anyways).

The MacBook Pro's (Core 2 Duo), both 15" and 17" models work like a charm. No problems with double keystrokes.