Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backtrack 4 r2 incompatible with i7?

Just burned his ISO

Default backtrack 4 r2 incompatible with i7?

Alright so I have been using backtrack 4 r1 on usb for sometime now. Then my computer sadly breaks, and I buy a new one and now backtrack get hung on loading using the same usb stick that worked for the other computer.
    I mounted the memstick with unetbootin. So when I boot the usb I get a menu of:
    --
    UNetbootin
    Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768)
    Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (800x600)
    Start BackTrack Forensics (no swap)
    Start BackTrack in Safe Graphical Mode
    Start BackTrack Persistent Live CD
    Start BackTrack in Text Mode
    Start BackTrack Graphical Mode from RAM
    Memory Test
    Boot the First Hard Disk
    push tab to edit
    --
    Regardless of what I pick the next screen is:
    --
    Loading, please wait...

BusyBox v1.10.2 (UBuntu 1:1.10.2-1ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)
    --
    And this is where it stops loading. I have spent sometime on this and tried serveral tricks in the boot edit section on the unetbootin screen like "acpi=off" and "fixvesa startx" and the only thing it did was waste my time. I think there are compatibility issues with Backtrack 4 and intel i7. Also, I updated to backtrack 4 r2 and had the same problem. The computer I'm using is a brand new Sony F, with intel i7. Also when I was looking up this error the people that had the problem had different computers, but they all seemed to have i7. Any ideas?

Default Re: backtrack 4 r2 incompatible with i7?

You're not even getting into linux. That looks like the grub bootloader. I'd just reinstall BackTrack to your usb drive.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You're not even getting into linux. That looks like the grub bootloader. I'd just reinstall BackTrack to your usb drive.
    the usb drive worked on the old computer, but when I changed to the new computer it no longer worked. Then I reinstalled it with the new backtrack and it still didn't work. But I can still try. Should I still use unetbootin to mount to the usb drive?

I am running BackTrack4 R2 on my i7 and works perfect so far

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

As Barry says!!!!
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Just burned his ISO

reinstalled backtrack to usb. didn't work

decided to download the newer version of unetbootin and reinstall backtrack. didn't work

redownloaded backtrack in case I had a corrupted file, and reinstall the fresh copy. didn't work :/

*this menu I get stuck at, backtrack's name is in the background. but it's like it doesn't load.

Quote Originally Posted by meltz View Post
    reinstalled backtrack to usb. didn't work

decided to download the newer version of unetbootin and reinstall backtrack. didn't work

redownloaded backtrack in case I had a corrupted file, and reinstall the fresh copy. didn't work :/

*this menu I get stuck at, backtrack's name is in the background. but it's like it doesn't load.
    I'll go out on a limb and say it's something with the new computer not liking booting from a usb drive, but it's not the processor. Do you always want it to run as a live disk, or do you want to make changes?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

I don't want to partition my internal harddrive. But I'm open to a live cd, memory stick, and usb external harddrive.

Then I'd just install to an external drive like you would on the internal drive, skip that unetbootin crap. Make sure you tell the installer where to install grub in the advanced button! It's on the last step before partitioning, otherwise you'll end up putting grub on your internal drive.

Just burned his ISO

I have the exact same problem as described in the first post of this thread.
    I tried to run backtrack from live USB, but I got the same errors. I tried all posible solutions in this thread and some other threads on the BT forums, but without succes.
    The USB is OK, since I used it on my old PC and tried it on a few laptops.

My machine is a i7 740QM, Nvidia GT 435M Dell XPS 15.

Can somebody help us?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast