Thread: Apple Works password recovery

Default Apple Works password recovery

Hi,

During an initial exploration of the network using 'normal user' credentials given for the audit I stubbled upon a file that as the name suggest is a collection of (probably) import credentials.
    The Apple Works (or Appleworks as some say) document password 'protection' can be easely bypassed by opening the file with any other text editor and scroll past the upper 'encryption'.
    However, the spreadsheat password protection seems to be different and not as easely bypassed.
    Does anyone ever seen password recovery/bruteforce tools for the Apple Works suite at all?

And yes, I do realise this hardly seems legit, another guy asking for crackin tools claiming to be doing an audit. But hell, you'll have to trust me on my blue eyes

Thanks for the (serious) responses.

@MOD: Perhaps move to expert due to the very specific nature of this case?
    Last edited by voidnecron; 02-19-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Mod question
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Default Re: Apple Works password recovery

Are you sure it's appleworks (last released in 2004 for version 6) and not, perhaps numbers or part of the iWork suite? It seems like a dumb question, but worth asking just in case. Not that I know of many tools beyond the odd bit of automator and xgrid work I've done myself, but I find it hard to believe that anyone is still using that old PoS for a spreadsheet.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Some people go with something and stick with that the rest of their digital lives... It's Appleworks
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

$DEITY I hate people like that. Not much help I can offer, I don't think I even have an actual install around here any more. Hopefully someone else can, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

That said, if they're using Appleworks and sticking with it, you can surmise an age of user, and likely passwords from that. Not terribly useful in the long run, but a good start at least. It's also likely that there are a lot of older machines around and so on. I'm sure you'll get there
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

You where right, I found an other file with contained the password for this file, and the password was indeed something with his birth year in it...
    Thanks for the effort anyway!