Thread: HD Install - Root password issues.

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation HD Install - Root password issues.

I recently installed BT and it works great, but I have noticed that when I am prompted to login, I can login as root with root's password, or i can login as root with NO password. i have tried using the passwd command, and it says it works, and indeed it does change the password, but i can still login without it. (trying to login with an incorrect password fails.)

I've checked the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files, and they check out, as far as I can tell. I've also noticed that if I try to use the KDM Password changer it hangs when i try and change the password.

And finally, I'm logging in from KDE, not the terminal, if that makes any difference. (changed the runlevel or something, forgotten by now.)

I already searched the forum and found a single other thread with this problem, but its a year old and has no replies. Hoping there is a solution out there.

Itssid

hm thats really weird maybe the installation went wrong somewhere. I dunno but all i can help is delete all traces of backtrack from your computer and do a fresh reinstall.

hope that helps

or you could just keep using the cd itself.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mage View Post
    I recently installed BT and it works great, but I have noticed that when I am prompted to login, I can login as root with root's password, or i can login as root with NO password. i have tried using the passwd command, and it says it works, and indeed it does change the password, but i can still login without it. (trying to login with an incorrect password fails.)
    I'm having the same problem. I am autostarting KDE as well.

Just burned his ISO

if got the same problem. I am autostarting KDE, too..but it doesnt ask me for password. Does anyone fixxed that?

thx

/edit: oh sry...got it! -> passwd -> new pw -> now it works!

have a nice day/evening ..whatever