Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick tut on fingerprinting web servers by banner grabbing.

xatar

Default quick tut on fingerprinting web servers by banner grabbing.

hi all,

I just though I would post a quick tutorial on fingerprinting web servers including servers running over SSL. I'm sure that this is all old news to most of you, but the newbies may appreciate it. Nothing here is dangerous and should not affect the server in any way.

Disclaimer: The information in this tutorial is not intended to be used for illegal activities. It is for informational purposes only.

As I'm sure you all know, web servers use Hyper-Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP) to transfer the data required to allow web pages to be displayed on your browser. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encrypts this data with a 128 bit key by default (this tut is not about attacking SSL!).

To fingerprint a web server, you should connect to it with a number of different tools and take make a decision based on the results. On easy method of fingerprinting a web server is to use netcat or Telnet.

telnet www.victim.com 80

Note that there is a space and the target port number after the DNS name of the victim server, whatever that may be. This will get Telnet to connect to the web server service on port 80. Great, now you can type directly into the Telnet session certain commands that are recognised by the web server and will illicit a response.

HEAD / HTTP/1.0
    This should suffice for most fingerprinting needs. The HEAD command will return to the Telnet screen the header of the victim server. In the header will most likely be a line starting with Server:. After that should be the type of server it is:
    Server: Microsoft IIS/5.0
    Server: Microsoft IIS/6.0
    Server: Apache (Win32) 2.0.32
    Server: Apache (Redhat) 1.3.39
    And so on.

Example:

telnet www.victim.com 80
    Trying www.victim.com...
    Connected to www.victim.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    HEAD / HTTP/1.0
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Content-Length: 323
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Location: http://192.168.1.1/index.html
    Last-Modified: Tue, 24 Feb 2006 16:06:30 GMT
    Accept-Ranges: bytes
    ETag: "40215623c60b71:37a"
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
    Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 09:12:48 GMT
    Connection: close
    Connection closed by foreign host.

Also notice other information that may be in the header such as the Content-Location: line which in this case reveals the internal IP address of the server. This may help an attacker in constructing other attacks, but for this tutorial is just further information on the victim server.

Other commands worth trying are:
    OPTIONS / HTTP/1.0
    This will show you what OPTIONS, or commands you can execute against the server such as HEAD, GET, POST etc.

Example:
    telnet www.victim.com 80
    Trying www.victim.com...
    Connected to www.victim.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    OPTIONS / HTTP/1.0
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Connection: close
    Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 09:13:16 GMT
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
    MS-Author-Via: DAV
    Content-Length: 0
    Accept-Ranges: none
    DASL: <DAV:sql>
    DAV: 1, 2
    Public: OPTIONS, TRACE, GET, HEAD, DELETE, PUT, POST, COPY, MOVE, MKCOL, PROPFIND, PROPPATCH, LOCK, UNLOCK, SEARCH
    Allow: OPTIONS, TRACE, GET, HEAD, COPY, PROPFIND, SEARCH, LOCK, UNLOCK
    Cache-Control: private
    Connection closed by foreign host.

It is the Allow: line that is important for an external attacker. The above example tells us that we can execute the OPTIONS, TRACE, GET, HEAD, COPY, PROPFIND, SEARCH, LOCK and UNLOCK commands. Should that have said that the PUT or DELETE commands are allowed, then we can possibly create pages on the site or delete them!

PROPFIND / HTTP/1.0
    The PROPFIND command is required to WebDAV operations in which you can remotely manage and update a web site. If the server does not forbid this command, you can attempt to connect to it with FrontPage (File | Open Site and enter http://www.victim.com)

Other information that may be returned by a PROPFIND command could be the internal IP address of the server again.

Great, so you can use Telnet quite easily to do this. Using netcat is just as easy. Create a series of text files that contain the above listed commands followed by two Control-Line Feeds (press the Enter key to get one CLF). It is vitally important to have the two CLF's at the end as that executes the command. Once you have the files created, use the following netcat syntax to send them to the server:
    nc www.victim.com 80 < HEAD.txt
    nc www.victim.com 80 < OPTIONS.txt
    nc www.victim.com 80 < PROPFIND.txt

You could also redirect the response to a text file by appending > response.txt at the end of the above commands.

So, that's how to fingerprint web servers. But what if the server is running over SSL? Telnet and netcat will no longer work as they cannot negotiate the encryption used by HTTPS servers. You will need to use another tool to handle the encryption and then use Telnet or Netcat to transfer the data.

BackTrack has Stunnel installed, but I find it a little unstable. I prefer a tool called SSLProxy (http://www.obdev.at/products/ssl-proxy/index.html) which is freely available. Just download the zipped tar file to a suitable location on your BackTrack, I used /pentest/web/.

Unzip it:
    gunzip sslproxy.2000_Jan_29.tar.gz

Untar it:
    tar -xf sslproxy.2000_Jan_29.tar

This now creates a directory called sslproxy.2000_Jan_29. Enter that directory and execute:
    make

This should work perfectly and create the sslproxy executable in that directory.

To use sslproxy, simply enter the directory and execute sslproxy to read the syntax help screen. If we are fingerprinting the web server at the fictitious www.victim.com web site, we would configure sslproxy like this:

sslproxy -L 127.0.0.1 -l 443 -R www.victim.com -r 443

You now have a personal proxy running on your local IP of 127.0.0.1 on port 443 which has connected to the victim server.

Now simply use the above Telnet or Netcat commands but point them to the sslproxy instead of the vicitm, remember that the proxy will forward all of the commands on to the victim for you!

Telnet 127.0.0.1 443
    HEAD / HTTP/1.0

etc, etc, etc.

Banner grabbing, which is what you are doing with these commands is a pretty effective fingerprinting technique, but it is not the only option. Servers can be configured so that the Server: line in the header returns false information. So a blend of manual banner grabbing and automated fingerprinting tools should be used. Tools like nmap (nmap -sV -p 80,443 www.victim.com) or amap (amap www.victim.com 80) or HTTPprint which is now part of Wikto for the Windows guys.

I hope this tutorial has helped people. I do professional penetration testing for a living and I can guarantee you that the more time and effort you spend on scanning and fingerprinting, the better position you will be in later in the test.

later,
    xatar.

Quote Originally Posted by xatar View Post
    I just though I would post a quick tutorial on fingerprinting web servers including servers running over SSL. I'm sure that this is all old news to most of you, but the newbies may appreciate it. Nothing here is dangerous and should not affect the server in any way.
    I hope this tutorial has helped people. I do professional penetration testing for a living and I can guarantee you that the more time and effort you spend on scanning and fingerprinting, the better position you will be in later in the test.
    Nicely done. I'm sure a lot of people here will appreciate the time and effort you put into this tutorial, I know I will.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Good read, keep it up Xatar!

Just burned his ISO

Great Tutorial , Thank You

Default nice read xatar,

Thank you for the time and effort on posting this for us!

-free
    15" MBP 8 gigs o ram 256 gig SSD in drivebay + 256 gig 5400 HD
    1000HE EEE 30 gig SSD 2 gigs Ram

Thank you for posting this xatar... this is very useful information!!!
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Developer

I will try to write something in the next few days that would expand nicely off of this. How to determine if a web server is running sql and if it is vunerable to a sql injection attack. Good job xatar, nice and clear and easy for our newbies to understand.

Just burned his ISO

thank you for taking the time to write this,

it was great reading it!

keep it up!

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up

Excellent stuff! Just the kind of tutorial n00bs like me need! Thanks.

Awesome work man! Really reinforces the golden rule of "Know thy system", whether your are the pen tester or the administrator...
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/mybrain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast