Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dual Boot Problem

wallsballs, skip to the end of that video and edit your lilo to match exactly how muts has his.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    lol sorry i forgot about that one.
    just type
    chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash
    and you will get no such file or directory.
    thats ok
    I am getting the same error even when I use the command as listed in the video and the transcript.

My prompt looks like this:
    Code:
    bt ~ # chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash
    And I get the following error:
    Code:
    chroot: cannot run command '/bin/bash': No such file or directory
    I can cd into /mnt/backtrack/bin and ls -l shows the following:
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 679620 May 13 2006 bash*
    The only problem that I have experienced so far is an error when I copied the files into the backtrack directory. I received an error stating "cp: failed to preserve ownership for" on all of the files. I would assume this problem is permissions related.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Just burned his ISO

i have a similar problem i also try to do dual boot by muts video but i have few problems i have 2 seperate hd in the first i have xp in the other i want to install backtrack 2 when i load the live cd i can't accses to the first hd which is "hda" i can accses only the secend hd "hdc" and "hdb" is my cd drive when i hit mount i can see only "hdc" but when i load qtparted i can see:"hda","hdb","hdc" i don't know how to work it out please help me

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by shay220486 View Post
    i have a similar problem i also try to do dual boot by muts video but i have few problems i have 2 seperate hd in the first i have xp in the other i want to install backtrack 2 when i load the live cd i can't accses to the first hd which is "hda" i can accses only the secend hd "hdc" and "hdb" is my cd drive when i hit mount i can see only "hdc" but when i load qtparted i can see:"hda","hdb","hdc" i don't know how to work it out please help me
    Your problem with two hard drives is that lilo must over ride your xp boot loader which is probably mounted on the other drive.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by no0ne2k View Post
    I am getting the same error even when I use the command as listed in the video and the transcript.

My prompt looks like this:
    Code:
    bt ~ # chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash
    And I get the following error:
    Code:
    chroot: cannot run command '/bin/bash': No such file or directory
    I can cd into /mnt/backtrack/bin and ls -l shows the following:
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 679620 May 13 2006 bash*
    The only problem that I have experienced so far is an error when I copied the files into the backtrack directory. I received an error stating "cp: failed to preserve ownership for" on all of the files. I would assume this problem is permissions related.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    in this situation you have incorrectly copied the files when using the cp command. When you chroot your command prompt should go from bt~# to bt~\ and you will be in the install.

If you are in the live cd and you use the ls command to list files you are only listing the files on the cd NOT in the new install. If you do not have the chroot prompt then you must go back and try again. Did you make sure and follows muts commands exactly. For instance the capitol R after cp in the copy commands?There is a trans script of the video which might help you guys.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    Your problem with two hard drives is that lilo must over ride your xp boot loader which is probably mounted on the other drive.
    so what i need to do i don't know

Developer

There is probably another way but I would say do a full install on the second hard drive and then select which hard drive to boot from at boot time. you could also reasearch lilo because I'm sure you could install it on your windows hard drive and point it at the other hard drive. I just haven't done it but it seems easy with some google'fu and some common sense. At the very least people that want to use linux should have a good understanding of file paths and perrmissions.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by no0ne2k View Post
    I went back and started from scratch. The only place I had varied from the directions was in the file system for /dev/hda4 --- I did not use resierfs as the tutorial said you could use something else if desired. When I formatted hda4 using reiserfs, the cp error never surfaced and the chroot command worked beautifully. I now have a dual boot machine that works great!

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Developer

your welcome. glad it worked out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234