Thread: A few question before gettings started

Just burned his ISO

Default A few question before gettings started

I'm currently downloading BackTrack with intent to install it but, before I do I need to know a few things:

1.) Can I have X start with the OS (the faq suggest this isn't the default)
    2.) Will BackTrack work out of the box with my AR5007EG wireless card (a lot of distributions don't work with this).

I have done searches for both of these and haven't found an answer (granted I didn't spend much time in a search but, I'm not going to spend hours searching for an answer when I can just ask).

Before I get some comments on why I 'need' X to run. I don't, I just prefer to have a Destop Environment to look at. Having some widgets and the time readily available is a nice feature. Also, I may decide to add some non-security related software later on like some backup tools which may or may not be present in the repositories (I've not really searched yet) and possibly a few games to play while I wait for results.

Sorry if any of this has been asked before, like I said I did a search and didn't find anything that looked like an answer.

r083rt

Default Re: A few question before gettings started

Quote Originally Posted by grnorris View Post
    I'm currently downloading BackTrack with intent to install it but, before I do I need to know a few things:

1.) Can I have X start with the OS (the faq suggest this isn't the default)
    2.) Will BackTrack work out of the box with my AR5007EG wireless card (a lot of distributions don't work with this).

I have done searches for both of these and haven't found an answer (granted I didn't spend much time in a search but, I'm not going to spend hours searching for an answer when I can just ask).

Before I get some comments on why I 'need' X to run. I don't, I just prefer to have a Destop Environment to look at. Having some widgets and the time readily available is a nice feature. Also, I may decide to add some non-security related software later on like some backup tools which may or may not be present in the repositories (I've not really searched yet) and possibly a few games to play while I wait for results.

Sorry if any of this has been asked before, like I said I did a search and didn't find anything that looked like an answer.

yes you didnt bother search at all as I found the answers in under a minute
    so go and research and do be so fuc***g lazy

IM HERE TO HELP BUT BUT WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU CANT GET ME ON MY BATPHONE WHAT WILL YOU DO THEN --ehhhh you will have to search so go fourth and learn

really if you hadnt and put the lazy comment in I would have post the reply you needed

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Answer to question 1: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...o-booting.html

Answer to question 2: Search the forums, Google and/or boot from liveDVD too see if it works.

Also, this is a pentest distro, not meant to be a distro to have loads of eye-candy (while it is nice, think about performance) nor to play games on. This is based on 8.10 intrepid and while the bulk of programs, games, etc. will run on it, you may not find a specific package and would have to try to compile from source to get it (IF it will compile without heaps of errors and massive headaches) to install.

Good luck.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by skinnypuppy View Post
    Answer to question 1: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...o-booting.html

Answer to question 2: Search the forums, Google and/or boot from liveDVD too see if it works.

Also, this is a pentest distro, not meant to be a distro to have loads of eye-candy (while it is nice, think about performance) nor to play games on. This is based on 8.10 intrepid and while the bulk of programs, games, etc. will run on it, you may not find a specific package and would have to try to compile from source to get it (IF it will compile without heaps of errors and massive headaches) to install.

Good luck.
    At the time of posting I was expecting to get an answer back before I could install. It seems it does in fact work with my wireless card and even has the necessary drivers for use with aircrack-ng and related softwares (it was an absolute nightmare making that work in Ubuntu). As far as the games go I'd say the most demanding game I might play would be GLTron (or was it TronGL, it's been a little while). While that game does use a bit of power, on my main machine it should be as nothing (Not the most robust machine but, Linux isn't the most demanding OS type). The only reason I'd install games at all on BackTrack is so I have something to do on my computer while collecting data (it could take quite a while, especially in passive mode).

Thanks by the way for the link, it probably would've taken quite a while to find that on my own (at least using the forum search tool, the results didn't seem to have anything to do with my search request).

BTW my main machine:
    Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7901
    Radeon 3100 integrated GPU (256MB integrated, not the best but, sufficient)
    AMD Turion X2 (Dual Core processor)
    AR5007EG (Atheros wireless card)
    Realtek Audio and Ethernet (not sure of the model numbers off hand, don't usually need to know).

Answers to question 2:

Why would you expect any of the volunteers or enthusiasts here spend their time answering your questions if you can't be bothered to find answers for yourself? Please refer to this lengthy thread which covers this discussion ad nauseum : http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...re-debate.html

Before getting started you might want to checkout or bookmark:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ted-links.html
    BackTrack Howtos
    BackTrack Videos
    Last edited by thorin; 02-08-2011 at 05:32 AM.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Why would you expect any of the volunteers or enthusiasts here spend their time answering your questions if you can't be bothered to find answers for yourself? Please refer to this lengthy thread which covers this discussion ad nauseum : http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...re-debate.html

Thank you for pointing that out to the OP thorin. While I almost never help anyone that has made that kind of statement (OP: look at it this way, if you aren't willing to put in the countless hours, days, weeks, months and so on searching for answers, how are you going to make it in this field?) I felt myself in a rather giving mood this morning.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

This is exactly why we get so many of the same questions posted here and exactly why so many of the senior members get so frustrated by new users who don't search. You could have answered both of those questions by reading the FAQ forum. Read the link thorin provided.

Thread closed.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.