Thread: How can I use a Gnome GUI with BackTrack?

Just burned his ISO

Default How can I use a Gnome GUI with BackTrack?

hi world
    iam a beginner on backtrack ,my naive question: is that any way to have backtrack with gnome interface !?

Default Re: How can I use a Gnome GUI with BackTrack?

I suppose you could apt-get or find Gnome in Synaptic. Then probably startgnome or something like that instead of startx.

I warn you though, I tried this with XFCE once because I am not a huge KDE fan either, and it was messy. You'd probably be better off sticking with KDE.

Installing gnome is not supported by us and you are on your own when you encounter any problems by trying to do so.

jast1234

I installed backtrack 4 final on my netbook and it was working great. However, I installed Gnome Office because I needed a lightweight spreadsheet and word processor to work with some documents. However, when i rebooted and typed startx, it starts Gnome and now I can't figure out how to get KDE back and the BackTrack tools. Any ideas on how to change my settings so I can get access to KDE and the BackTrack tools again? thnx in advance for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by clutch View Post
    I suppose you could apt-get or find Gnome in Synaptic. Then probably startgnome or something like that instead of startx.

I warn you though, I tried this with XFCE once because I am not a huge KDE fan either, and it was messy. You'd probably be better off sticking with KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by jast1234 View Post
    I installed backtrack 4 final on my netbook and it was working great. However, I installed Gnome Office because I needed a lightweight spreadsheet and word processor to work with some documents. However, when i rebooted and typed startx, it starts Gnome and now I can't figure out how to get KDE back and the BackTrack tools. Any ideas on how to change my settings so I can get access to KDE and the BackTrack tools again? thnx in advance for any help!
    Please allow me to focus your attention on the post immediately above yours.

I would suggest that you reinstall Backtrack and use koffice which includes a word processor and spreadsheet and is KDE based.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.