Thread: A few n00b questions

Just burned his ISO

Default A few n00b questions

I recently discovered BT2, and am very interested in it but I had a couple of questions. Is BT a suitable standalone OS in the regards to functionality? I am very interested in the amount of tools that BT2 has to offer, but is it decent as an everyday operating system? Do most of you use a distro like Ubuntu and then boot BT from a live cd when you need it, or do you just use BT2 on a daily basis? If this is the case, how reasonable is the idea of booting BT2 from a USB flash drive? I realize that BT would have to be compressed to fit on a flash drive, but I dont know how much this would impact functionality. I know that these questions are very n00bish, but i am a n00b here, and am openly admitting that. Any feedback would be welcome : )

-face

I have Ubuntu Dapper , maybe it is not the best, but in 100 % works with my laptop, and this is what I expect from the system. But, yes, I like Ubuntu.
    BT can be used as a standalone operation system but what is missing is the repository of precompiled packets.
    When installing the new program (like Nessus - next thread) you have to find and install the missing libraries one by one , while Ubuntu Synaptic
    program lists and loads libraries automaticly and if the library needs another library to work it is loaded too.
    So making the changes in 'full system' is easier than in BT (that will probably change with developing BT 3 ).
    I use BT on USB , that saves laptop's CD , and you can easy add the changes to BT stick.
    I suggest fast USB2.0 stick, otherwise it will boot very slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by face_23 View Post
    how reasonable is the idea of booting BT2 from a USB flash drive? I realize that BT would have to be compressed to fit on a flash drive, but I dont know how much this would impact functionality. I know that these questions are very n00bish, but i am a n00b here, and am openly admitting that. Any feedback would be welcome : )

-face
    There is no problem booting from a USB flash drive. If you find a larger one, you may not even need to compress it.

You may also want to consider dual-booting. Many people such as myself dual-boot BackTrack with something else. In fact I dual boot with Windows on my desktop and laptop.

There is also the consideration of booting from a USB external drive.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";