Thread: obtain linux password

Just burned his ISO

Default obtain linux password

Hi All
    I am trying to hack a linux machine set up by my school for a hacking competition.

I use nmap to know that the machine is running linux.

Does anyone know how can I use ssh or scp to get the password file for my target machine?

After I get the password file, I am going to try use john the ripper to decrypt the password.

Is it the only way to do it, or is there any other easier way to accomplish the same?

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Well you need to get the /etc/shadow file which contains the password hashes, and then crack them. You need to be root to access /etc/shadow. I don't know how you are going to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger66 View Post
    Hi All
    I am trying to hack a linux machine set up by my school for a hacking competition.

Does anyone know how can I use ssh or scp to get the password file for my target machine?

After I get the password file, I am going to try use john the ripper to decrypt the password.

Is it the only way to do it, or is there any other easier way to accomplish the same?

Thanks
    Social Engineering
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by tiger66 View Post
    Hi All

Thanks
    Read up on the exploits that might work against the machine...?

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

Think Social Engineering is the only pretty solution for your case or a direct physical access to the server.............

if it's a "hacking competition" we won't help you i think, no fair, competition is with your own skills, and not with hacking knowledge of other... or the result for you in this comp will not reflect ur real capacities....

http://www.linuxexposed.com/ >> good place for beginners.....
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006