Thread: Overwriting an Ubuntu 10.04 installation with Backtrack 4 R2

Just burned his ISO bin4ryninj4's Avatar

Lightbulb Overwriting an Ubuntu 10.04 installation with Backtrack 4 R2

I currently have an Acer 5739G running a dual boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 10.04 configuration with B|T installed in windows via VMWare. I have no problems with the VMWare install except that it seems to run noticeably slower than a HD install, especially when using airodump-ng, aireplay-ng and aircrack-ng.

As for Ubuntu, well I love it, it runs a lot faster than Windows 7, but I honestly have no use for it at the moment. I installed it this August just to get some familiarity with Linux, but I figured I could use B|T for that and just get rid of Ubuntu because I honestly haven't touched it in weeks.

As such, I'm wondering if its safe to go ahead and install Backtrack directly to HD, using a freshly burned image, and just overwrite the Ubuntu Install and use the same 50 GB already assigned without having to format the partition, fix my MBR since it's been taken over by grub, install B|T, etc. Are their any dangers to this?

Yes I did do a quick Google search and a search through the B|T forums for this question, but I found nothing. The searches weren't very thorough to be honest, but I'm at work and would rather not have my boss walk by and inquire "why I have 10 tabs open dealing with Backtrack, what is Backtrack, and where are those TPS reports."

Thanks a lot in advance for this information, and also for all your help in the forums. I've never had to post a single question before now, because everything I've ever needed was right in front of me.

Default Re: Overwriting an Ubuntu 10.04 installation with Backtrack 4 R2

Here: Dual Boot « BackTrack Linux – Penetration Testing Distribution
    As for the partitions I think you might have to format them, the latest Ubuntu uses EXT4 if I am correct and Backtrack doesn't support EXT4, but if you follow the guide above you shouldn't have any problems. (Might be good to make a Windows back-up if you want to be safe.)
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

Sounds good but making sure you have a backup of your Windows partition or at least a system restore saved remotely. Mostly because we have seen quite a few people delete their Windows partitions by mistake, and it really sucks.
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

As for Ubuntu, well I love it, it runs a lot faster than Windows 7, but I honestly have no use for it at the moment. I installed it this August just to get some familiarity with Linux, but I figured I could use B|T for that and just get rid of Ubuntu because I honestly haven't touched it in weeks.
    Since BT is ubuntu and you have no use of it get rid of both and stick to your 7
    If anything can go wrong, it will....

Quote Originally Posted by laptopz View Post
    Since BT is ubuntu and you have no use of it get rid of both and stick to your 7
    Now that's just crazy talk!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69