Thread: Sanity Check. AWUS036h connection issue

Default Sanity Check. AWUS036h connection issue

So for Christmas this year I bought myself a awus036h. Huzzah. The built in Atheros card just wasn't cutting it anymore.

For the most part it works fine. I messed around with the compat-wireless drivers for a while but eventually reverted to original Backtrack 4 drivers. However I have been having an odd issue with the card.

At my office I have set up two wireless APs. The first is a Linksys BEFW11S4 and the other is a D-Link DI-624. I use the Linksys as the router w/ DHCP turned on and the D-Link as a dumb switch/wireless AP. The D-Link is connected via ethernet to the Linksys. Without fail the 036h connects to the D-link no matter what encryption type is used (WPA, WEP, none). This is where it gets weird though. The 036h refuses to connect to the Linksys when any kind of encryption is turned on. The issue is consistent as well. Reboots, rmmod and modprobing, or unplugging the device doesn't seem to help. When connecting to the Linksys if I set a static IP the error is returned that it can't associate with the AP but if I use DHCP it tells me it can't get an IP. However when I swap back over to the Atheros card I have no connection issues on either AP. Just using wicd to run the tests for simplicity's sake. Using the command line returned the same errors.

So I ran through all possible combinations and here are the results. I used a stock hard drive install of BT4r2. When tests are run using Windows 7 both the Atheros card and awus036h connect to either AP without issue .

Linksys w/ WPA or WEP:
    Static IP - Can't associate
    DHCP - Can't pull an IP

D-Link w/ WPA or WEP;
    Static IP - Connects
    DHCP - Connects

Linksys and D-Link w/ no encyption:
    Static IP - Connects
    DHCP - Connects

So using the 036h I can connect to the switch that is connected to the router and the router has no issue assigning an IP but when I try to connect straight to the router's wireless the 036h can't associate. Been working on this for about a week and it's starting to drive me a little batty. Anyone else ever run into something like this with the AWUS036h in Backtrack?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Sanity Check. AWUS036h connection issue

curious as if the issues I am seeing with awus036h also affects awus036nh

I guess I will have to wait until my awus036nh arrives. You guys aren't making me feel very secure about my purchase!

I will be watching this thread to see the results

Update time:

So in the week since I posted this I have noticed other odd things from the Linksys router. Things such as starting to drop the connection to the modem, random ports not working at random, all the problems displayed by a router starting to kick the bucket. Since I have been unable to reproduce the results shown by the Linksys router or on any other wireless device I must assume the error was specific to the failing router. So don't worry ryan, looks like you're in the clear,
    Computer security is a temporary condition.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Renek View Post
    Update time:

So in the week since I posted this I have noticed other odd things from the Linksys router. Things such as starting to drop the connection to the modem, random ports not working at random, all the problems displayed by a router starting to kick the bucket. Since I have been unable to reproduce the results shown by the Linksys router or on any other wireless device I must assume the error was specific to the failing router. So don't worry ryan, looks like you're in the clear,
    whew... was starting to panic there, good to see you got the problem solved.

Supposedly mine arrives tomorrow =)

I found the AWUS036NEH that does just a quarter watt (24dbm), is a pretty good stick.. it's a usb stick but you can buy it with the 9 db antennae and it has a ralink chipset

when my buddy brought over his AWUS036h.. on testing with the same antennae, same distance with chop on a wep.. he was doing 40 seconds and I was doing 12, same rig using the drivers in r2 (I installed the ralink driver and got it working, iwpriv commands and all but the default rt2800usb drivers seem to do fine)

he can do 1 watt with the thing with the regulatory change so he's definitely getting better txpower to the ap.. I think it's just a difference in chipset (or drivers? anyone know).. the NEH is just faster for some reason in testing

I almost went with the 2 watt lies of the alfa NH.. but it turns out that is really a 1 and quarter watt over b/g after doing some research.. it's better imo just to use the NEH and build/buy a rf amp- then go directional if you really need the distance

things like airpwn seem to benefit from the NEH too.. weird though, I have another stick with the ralink chipset and it performs like the 1 watt alfa.. something about the alfa NEH that makes it better that I haven't really got an explanation besides it's just better hardware for this sort of thing

I dunno, kind of a rant but noticed a lot of help in other forums too, especially the mexican ones.. those guys are really helpful.. noticed on these forums a lot of guys just buy stuff like sheep but really don't know what they're doing.. the google links all end up here, so I guess I see why.. I did learn a lot here though just browsing but it was after using resources from other forums that I gleaned a lot of knowledge on whatever I was interested in at the time

not trying to put down the mods here.. but a lot of the google links to questions do end up here- and I always see that frenchie guy berating newbies like house does the black guy

I can understand though.. it takes quite a while to learn this stuff from the ground up and you don't want script kiddies to shut down starbucks.. but like the regulatory thread where you stopped jano from posting anything more really isn't necessary..

anyways, check out the alfa NEH.. it is a better stick than the older alfa far as I can tell, I think I know what your problem is when connecting too.. you connecting with windows or linux?