Thread: BackTrack 4 R2, VMware Player 3.1.3 & Bridged Networking

Default BackTrack 4 R2, VMware Player 3.1.3 & Bridged Networking

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum.

After updating my installation of VMware Player to 3.1.3, I no longer had the ability to use Bridged Networking with any of my guests.

After searching Google, I was able to understand and fix the problem. You can read the solution here.

The instructions are a little vague. Once you've extracted & placed the vmnetcfg.exe file in the VMware Player installation directory, run it. Highlight the VMnet adapter associated with Type Bridged (mine defaults to VMnet0).

Under VMnet Information, select your host's physical adapter from the dropdown list. Apply these settings, and you should be right on.

I hope this helps anyone who may be experiencing the same problems.

- Edit: I should note that I am running VMware Player 3.1.3 on a Windows 7 Pro host.
    Last edited by ColForbin; 02-01-2011 at 08:01 AM.
    "Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

Default Re: BackTrack 4 R2, VMware Player 3.1.3 & Bridged Networking

another point that makes me happy im running workstation instead, also it helps to be able to run BT4R2 and Metasploitable, and damn vulnerable linux, and windows vista all at once and be able to scan them all and exploit them as if they were machines on a lan. its well worth the money..

i have no vmware stock ;(
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

Default Re: BackTrack 4 R2, VMware Player 3.1.3 & Bridged Networking

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunr View Post
    also it helps to be able to run BT4R2 and Metasploitable, and damn vulnerable linux, and windows vista all at once and be able to scan them all and exploit them as if they were machines on a lan.
    The same is possible with Player. You just have to open more than one instance of the program.
    "Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."