Thread: Caps @ the command prompt?!?!

Just burned his ISO

Default Caps @ the command prompt?!?!

Hello BT forums. Im new to BT but i have some xp with linux. My xp is mostly from messing around with different linux flavors, but i had a course on linux a few months back. the problem im having is that when i go to type in startx, the letters are in capital with or without caps lock being on. I know linux doesnt take kindly to caps in commands so I was thinking that this was probably the problem. Im attempting to dual boot alongside windows 7. I should add that any numbers i type in at the prompt come up as the corresponding symbol ( 1!, 2@, 3#, etc...) also, if possible, can anyone tell me which choice is the best for dual booting at the selection screen when the dvd first boots up (1024, 800, run from RAM...) I have BT4 final release i believe. I'd appreciate it if no one rips me a new one for asking a question that may already on the forums, as i have searched them for nearly 2 hours at this point to no avail. I've seen some pretty crappy responses to questions. Thanks for any suggesions/help on the matter.

Default Re: Caps @ the command prompt?!?!

?
    sounds like the system thinks shift is active. what happens if you actually hold down shift?
    try a different keymap maybe? just thinking out loud here.

your dual booting question makes no sense. maybe you should investigate actually installing that puppy. you may want to figure out your wonky keyboard first, though.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Caps @ the command prompt?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by macphail View Post
    ?
    sounds like the system thinks shift is active. what happens if you actually hold down shift?
    try a different keymap maybe? just thinking out loud here.

your dual booting question makes no sense. maybe you should investigate actually installing that puppy. you may want to figure out your wonky keyboard first, though.

Hey Mac, thanks for your help. Ill def try a diff keymap. Im using a laptop with a faulty keyboard, using a wireless usb keyboard/mouse combo. I suspect one of those two things may be the culprit, although when i hit the caps lock key on the external, the onboard caps lock light does light up, but no difference in the output.

As for the booting question, What i was trying to figure out was what loading option i should go with, i think i was trying to do a live run off of the cd, ill try doing a full install. Again, thanks for the input. I'll post more as i go on. For now, I've got some more reading to do

PS: I mentioned before I was using Final, its actually r2