Thread: pyrit on DSL/original xbox

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default pyrit on DSL/original xbox

I have been messing with pyrit lately (using purehate's tut), i.e. setting up clusters with my home computers. I have a soft modded xbox with Damn Small Linux (2.4.31 kernel) on it. I was wondering if it would be possible install pyrit on this old xbox. I've looked around and haven't found anyone that's done it yet - but I don't know where to start. I figured I'd ask the pros if it was even possible before wasting my time trying... Thanks

xbox hardware: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NV2A#Te...specifications
    DSL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_Small_Linux

Default Re: pyrit on DSL/original xbox

The xbox GPU probably wouldn't be supported and plus with the xboxes limited hardware i dont think it would really be worth it trying to get pyrit running on it.
    wh1t3 fang

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by dex1218 View Post
    The xbox GPU probably wouldn't be supported
    I'm not all that concerned about getting CUDA working. I know this isn't even practical with the xbox's limited hardware...but I just want to see if it could be done...

As this is neither a forum for DSL or Pyrit I would perhaps ask your question else where. In addition to that, I believe Dex is correct. The original xbox uses an ancient graphics card that is akin to a Geforce3/4. It is an onboard solution (obviously) so there isn't a directly comparable model but the fact is that your mobile phone can probably chew through more keys per second than your xbox.
    Computer security is a temporary condition.

well, pyrit doesn't have much in the way of dependencies as I recall, you could just try downloading the source and compiling as per the pyrit installation page. I've used it on my gentoo, and it works fine. At least without ati-stream or CUDA in mind. Again, not sure how purposeful it would be due to the aforementioned limited hardware

EDIT:
    Then again, not sure if damn small linux has gcc or similar requirements included.

Just burned his ISO

Yah, your right, no gcc. I tried compiling the dependencies last night and had several issues getting a modern version of python and gcc up and running. I'm going to install gentoo tomorrow and see what I can come up with...like I said, I'm not really concerned with practicality. This is more of a "let's see what this pos can do" mentality. =) Thanks for the replies.